Will a Fancy Guppy's tail heal from a small tear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David14259

Aquarium Advice Freak
My male guppy snagged his tail on something and now has a small tear in it, maybe 1-2mm long. Will this ever heal?

He still swims just fine and doesn't seem any worse off, but it bothers me because he has a BEAUTIFUL tail. (See my gallery for a pic.)

Thanks.

If the tear is not too bad, it should heal, but it's a slow process. Are you positive he snagged it rather than some other fish taking a nibble? You might want to separate him.

pima or melafix, he will heal right up. My severum with multiple splits in her tail healing within 2 weeks when we treated with pimafix. I love the stuff, swear by it. the stuff is known to cause birth defects in women though, so be careful. I just have my husband use it when it is needed.

theotheragentm said:
If the tear is not too bad, it should heal, but it's a slow process. Are you positive he snagged it rather than some other fish taking a nibble? You might want to separate him.

Yeah I've had a few guppies in the past that had bites taken out of their tail, this is a very clean cut and I'm positive its from getting snagged or cut on something.

Thanks for the info on the meds, I'll look into them!

One of my female guppy has a large tail and it had a tear about 2x3mm on its tail one day. But it healed itself after 2-3 weeks.

2 days ago, I bought a male guppy with a hole in the middle of its tail - it is beautiful so I don't mind it has a hole. This morning the tail splits into two parts extended from original hole to its end. I think it will heal if I give it a good diet.

hsherman1986 said:
pima or melafix, he will heal right up. My severum with multiple splits in her tail healing within 2 weeks when we treated with pimafix. I love the stuff, swear by it. the stuff is known to cause birth defects in women though, so be careful. I just have my husband use it when it is needed.

Huh? Human women or fish?

I have a dwarf gourami that lost a big part of his dorsal fin and it never grew back. I tried both melafix and pimafix. He now has about ½" missing in the middle. :(

my fancy guppy had a nice tail, then the angelfish came along and ate it all up, no more fancy, but after a month, the tail came back and looked even better than before.

son2fu said:
my fancy guppy had a nice tail, then the angelfish came along and ate it all up, no more fancy, but after a month, the tail came back and looked even better than before.

LOL. You should have your angel eat all your guppies tails then! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom