will a fish bowl be okay as a QT for a week or two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolf0311

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a fancy guppy from a lfs that i previously had problems with (fin rot). i dont want to put him into my main tank in fear that hes got fin rot. im keeping him in a little half gallon fish bowl currently, i know its not ideal and its sad but would he be okay in there for only a week or two so i can watch him?

You could use an inexpensive plastic tote of some kind. Just make sure it's clean and hasn't been exposed to soaps/cleaners. IMO a half gallon is a bit small.

Go to the dollar store and get a plastic tote an Regan Mentioned, rinse it thorough with straight water no cleaners or anything, if you have 2 filters in that tank take one off and put it on the tote, if no filter you might run into cycling issues

the thing about the totes is that i cant see the fish to see if he is developing finrot, because theyre all opaque, so im not sure if i would want to do that. also im going to be changing the water every day to avoid ammonia buildup.

I keep a six gallon hex that I got from Walmart around for quarantine and hospital needs. I just run the filter on my 20 gallon generally and fill up the six gallon as needed. I think it was $14.99. Not as cheap as a tote, but I can see into it, and it's fine for the smaller fish I keep.

A half gallon is really tiny.

You can get a 5G or a 10G usually tank only for appx $12-15. New.

Used tanks from thrift stores, or CL, often free ones. Clean really well

You can get a couple plastic plants and go bare bottom. Feed lightly.

You can get a 5G or a 10G usually tank only for appx $12-15. New.

Used tanks from thrift stores, or CL, often free ones. Clean really well

You can get a couple plastic plants and go bare bottom. Feed lightly.

That's even better. Brand new 10 gallon tanks are around $12 at Walmart. Smart purchase, you'd have a good sized qt tank on hand.

if i were to invest in a tank, do i need to get a filter? i know its ideal, but i cant afford to buy a filter right now. could i get by with just daily water changes?

With a 10G tank, and just one or two smaller fish you will likely be able to go a couple days! Just don't over feed. You can work on getting to the filter part. You can also look into a sponge filter. Very reasonably priced.

Back
Top Bottom