Will African Dwarf Frog co-exist with Crabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newhobbist

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would like to buy ADF, but don't know whether it can be kept in one tank with a Red Clawed Crab, which is about 2". Any ideas?

I wouldn't mix them, but thats just a gut feeling, not from personal experience. I hate crabs so I would never actually buy one to try it out.

I must disagree with you about crabs even though I've been keeping them for only about five weeks. Just looking at them looking for food and bringing it to their mouths is funny. I used to drom a shrimp pellet about 6 inches from Red Clawed Crab's cave and it would come out, approach the pellet, wave with its claws to scare my Bolivian Ram, grab the pellet with both claws, and run back to its cave! It learned to come out every time I fed fish! Unfortunatelly, now I see it about once a week (and I haven't seen my Fiddler Crab for almost a month). I think, unavailability of a way to reach water surface is hurting them and makes them less active. I wish I knew about i before I bought them at Petco.

Wait until they start climbing out of every possible space in your hood and walking around your house, then see how much you like them.

I wish people got better service at the pet places and found out what there pets needed before they purchased them.. sorry to hear about that.. it upsets me to no end.. :evil: :evil:

I've read a post about feeding fish with orange. I've just put a slice of orange (about 1" long) in the tank. Ram tried it once, then Rosy Barb started tearing it apart, but was scared away by Ram. Then, the crab came, grabbed the slice, which was not much smaller than the crab itself, and dragged it into its cave! It ws really funny to watch! Now, I'm going to cut one more slice of orange and put it at the opposite end of the tank so fish will get the treat also.

i'd say no.. although I have two large red claw crabs they have taken out 4 of the original 7 I had in the tank with them.. the crabs get enough food but they just seem to think of the frogs as snacks, they just grab them by the legs and bring them back to the cave :(

Back
Top Bottom