Will algae affect water parameters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sara

Aquarium Advice Freak
I did some major housecleaning in my tanks tonight, and went to work on both my green and brown algae blooms (the green from my tanks being close to my windows, the brown...just because). Anyway, by the time I was finished, there was an algae storm in my tanks...bits of green algae floating everywhere, even after the water change.

The fish all look fine and the water's almost clear again, but I'm wondering if all of the algae that has made it's way into the filter and that didn't get vacuumed up from the bottom will affect the water parameters at all. My brain is telling me that algae will start to decompose (like any other waste) and cause an ammonia spike...but that doesn't quite sound right to me.

Thoughts?

Edited because apparently I can't spell...don't mind me...

A hugh algae die off will cause a NH3 spike <or so I've read>. I've never noticed that tho, & I've created lots of algae storms lately. I think the reason is that the algae is not killed just because you disturbed it. All the floating bits just settle down & grow in new places! :(

Yeah if it all started to decompose at once, you might see ammonia levels rise.
but as jsoong said, just because you dislodged it, doesn't mean you killed it. I'm sure you'll be fine, but you can test for ammonia for a few days if you want to feel extra secure.

Thanks guys! I rinsed out the sponge pre-filter on my Aquaclear this morning, so I think that'll help quite a bit. I'll keep an eye on it though...

Back
Top Bottom