Will another fit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im looking for a small/medium (2/4 inches) pretty fish to act as another decorative mid dwelling feature point.

I already have a Blue Male Betta and was looking for a Female red one to contrast each other. The chances of peace between the 2 is minimal so i gave up on that idea.

Also will my tank hold another fish? It looks about full and when i look at my fish list in my sig, it reads like its full too. So i think im gonna have to keep as it is. but if i can fit another fish in....

What fish will be ok on their own and what will be compatible?

Your tank does seem kind of full. You have to start calculating risk if you start adding too many fish. It is possible to run a functioning overloaded aquarium, but you have to be very vigilant about chemistry, agression, breed compatibility and such. Overcrowding will increase fish stress and therefore disease rates.

I'm not saying you can't, I'm saying it should only be done if the athetics are more important to you than the extra labor and possible expense of medications and fish loss. I personally prefer to observe fish behaviors rather than colors. I like to try to stimulate schooling and breeding behavior with a healthy, compatible enviroment.

Yeah i like watching fish behavior more than colour aswell.

I was asking about another colourful fish because the tank is in my mum's "Best room" and i know that she'd rather it not be in there or at least if it is then she would like it to house pretty fish.

I think i'll leave my tank as it is. (Posted as Satsumas, not Elliott_001, Thats my brother)

I see you have some live plants already. If you want to make the tank more decorative, you could try going further with that.

I bought another plant today. In total i have 9 plants in there (rough head count) it is quite full of plants too although there is a space to fill at the back.

When i bought the plant today, i saw some neon tetra's and was quite tempted, also some cherry barbs. I done some research into cherry barbs and i read that they dont tend to shoal and are especially suitable to be kept as a pair. This seems pretty perfect as i dont have much red in my tank and they will swim around all over the place. Also they stay small, 2 inches.

I managed to withstand the temptation and i think im quite happy with my fish at the moment. Although if i can i would like to fit 2 cherry barbs in aswell.

My mum did say about the plants.. "are they going to flower?" and "cant you get some lovely red or blue plants, its all a bit green"

But i like the lush green so she'll have to! lol

I wouldn't add any more fish in that tank. I deffinitely wouldn't add a female betta. Doing so will lead to the death of one of the bettas, male or female.

There are some lovely red varieties of plants for color. Might have to look online for them. Might also have to increase your lighting.

There are some aquatic flowering plants, but the flowers are on stems that project out of the water. To show them off properly, you have to get rid of the conventional aquarium hood, and hang a couple bright lights from the celing for your aquarium light. The flower will grow up out of the surface of the water. I've heard that the common bannana plant will do this, although I've not witnessed it myself. This aquatic gardening method is obviously not compatible with fish that like to jump out of the aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom