Will BB be okay if there's no fish for 2-3 days?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SonicsDC25

Aquarium Advice Freak
Later today I've finally found someone who would like to re-home my fish, but the fish store I plan on ordering fish from is closed today and possibly tomorrow due to heavy snow conditions. So, it probably won't be until Monday or possibly Tuesday the latest that I'll receive my new juvies. My question is, will the beneficial bacteria be okay for that long with no fish in the tank? Should I add 1 or 2 drops of Ammonia per day until the fish arrives?

Your BB will be fine without fish for a long time.
if I'm not mistaken bb feeds on fish waste, if there are no fish to create waste than there is no food source for the bb. Wouldn't the bb starve in " a long time" ?

It will be okay but you can add a drop of ammonia or just throw some fish food in for awhile

Your BB will be fine without fish for a long time.
+1 100% agreed

if I'm not mistaken bb feeds on fish waste, if there are no fish to create waste than there is no food source for the bb. Wouldn't the bb starve in " a long time" ?

The bb will go dormant for up to a month before starving.

It will be okay but you can add a drop of ammonia or just throw some fish food in for awhile

Unnecessary. The BB will be just fine.

2-3 days is fine but I wouldn't throw any good in there if it's not gonna be eaton if your worried just use API stress zyme, or start zyme when you put new fish in your aquarium.

Thanks guys, so no Ammonia is needed or crushed up fish food? I just want to be 100% sure & double check because the last thing I want is to have brand new F1 juvies and no viable tank to put them in =/

Its fine. Leave your filter running so they get circulation and don't worry. They won't even notice the fish have gone because wastes in the substrate release ammonia, too.

Alright sounds good, and yeah when I was moving my rocks around there were still some waste floating about, which I left behind just in case of this exact scenario :) Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom