Will bettas eat neons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmwalters

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a male betta in a ten gallon planted tank and I added a school of 6 green neons. After the first night, we couldn't find one of them. Yesterday we didn't lose any. And today, I can only find four. Is the betta to blame? He's normally very calm; we kept him with guppies and he didn't even bother them. Or are these fish dying and the betta being an opportunistic feeder.

Betta's behaviour is very from a betta to another. In a 10 gallons with weak fishs, he will probably fight.

Maybe it could work in a 30gal+ tank with a LOT of plants and hiding places...

In my experience, the neons are extremely sensitive. They might just be dying.

I have kept betta's with neons before with no problems. It's more likely that your neons are hiding. It is possible that they are dying. You need to keep a very close eye on your water parameters for the next few weeks. If you have an ammonia spike, it's likely that you've lost some.

I know sometime it's hard to do, but the best way to know if there's some dead, before you get the waste spike, count them.

Depends of the hidings places

In my experience neons are way too fast for the beta to bother. Also usually betas only bother other fish with long flowing fins, because they mistake them for another beta.

Back
Top Bottom