Will Blue Rams eat snails/snail eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to put a pair of Blue Rams in a planted 20g I'm using as a snail breeding tank (Ramshorns) for my puffers.

- I'm wondering if the Rams would potentially eat baby snails/snail eggs, and deplete the population?
- Also, is there a chance if I don't QT the rams, that they could introduce diseases that will infect the snails and therefore be transferred to the puffers?

Anyone know?
Thanks.

No rams will not eat snail or snail eggs. I recommend QT'ing all fish but I don't know that your snails would catch anything from the rams if they had anything.

Zagz said:
No rams will not eat snail or snail eggs. I recommend QT'ing all fish but I don't know that your snails would catch anything from the rams if they had anything.
Thanks for the reply.
As mean as it sounds, I don't care about the snails lol; I'm just paranoid about something getting transferred to the puffers from eating the snails who would live with the rams.
Sounds like it'd probably be best to QT the rams just in case. Uh oh, time for tank #3, lol.

I would have more issues about mixing puffers with the rams rather than worrying about disease transfers. SA cichlids and puffers are not the best tank mates.

Jchillin said:
I would have more issues about mixing puffers with the rams rather than worrying about disease transfers. SA cichlids and puffers are not the best tank mates.
Um, the rams would not live with the puffers.

The puffers are in a brackish tank, I'm talking about putting the rams into the FW planted tank that I breed snails in for the puffers. Ie., the rams would be living with the puffer's food, hence why I am worried about disease being transferred from ram - snail - puffer.

Back
Top Bottom