Will changing the substrate color stress my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacky12

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a new to me old pink albino Oscar. She’s at least 8 years old. She was in a tank with blue gravel, the kind Walmart sells for $15 for 25 pds. I think she’d look even more beautiful with black gravel. Would this possibly upset her?

Is sand or gravel better for cichlids? I use both & understand either is ok.

I have a new to me old pink albino Oscar. She’s at least 8 years old. She was in a tank with blue gravel, the kind Walmart sells for $15 for 25 pds. I think she’d look even more beautiful with black gravel. Would this possibly upset her?

Is sand or gravel better for cichlids? I use both & understand either is ok.

Changing the gravel color before the fish goes in shouldn't have any effects on the fish other than making it's colors a bit darker.
As for sand vs gravel, Oscars are diggers so as long as the substrate isn't sharp, either should be fine. Decorations to consider: should be large enough that the fish can't move them and if layered, won't collapse when the fish moves the substrate it's sitting on. Live plants may be tough to keep as they are notorious for digging up plants.

:thanks::dance:(y)So good to hear! Thanks Andy! The pinker the better for Pink!

I’m having trouble finding the type of black gravel I like. I’ve used Black Diamond blasting sand in a few small tanks. Would it be safe for my old Oscar girl?

:thanks::dance:(y)So good to hear! Thanks Andy! The pinker the better for Pink!

Like any fish, putting them on a darker background will make the fish darken trying to blend in. That doesn't mean the fish will be pinker, but that the pink will probably be darker but still "POP" against the darker contrast.

I’m having trouble finding the type of black gravel I like. I’ve used Black Diamond blasting sand in a few small tanks. Would it be safe for my old Oscar girl?

I'll have to let someone else answer as I've never used it before. I generally use playground sand.

Ok. I switched from playground sand to pool filter sand because the pet store guy who sold me the 125 G with the 2 big Fluval filters gave me his buckets full from the tank. I prefer the slightly coarser texture of the pool sand. It does cost more, but it’s not like I’m buying a ton. I bought a betta from someone who used the black blasting sand who gave me a near full 50 pd sack.

Back
Top Bottom