Will chelates of copper kill my invertebrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Henri

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Everyone!
I got a plant fertilizer from Australia, called " Plant Food ", since I am extra cautious about everything I immediately read the " ingredients " list when it got shipped to me and it says that it contains chelates of copper, iron, magnese etc. I currently have Malaysian Trumpet Snails, but I am planning on getting more inverts soon. Will the fertilizer kill my snails and inverts? Please let me know, I'm very worried. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Whats the percent of copper? Or number in the list of ingrediants?

Yep definately a tron reference! lol off topic

I doesen't have any percentage in there! At this page -> chelates - definition of chelates by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. , it says:
tr.v. che·lat·ed, che·lat·ing, che·lates
2. Medicine To remove (a heavy metal, such as lead or mercury) from the bloodstream by means of a chelate, such as EDTA.

So maybe that's it, it has chelates to remove copper? If yes, it has chelates to remove iron and magnesium as well? Uggh, I'm confused! Without knowing, I have been starting to dose it daily for 2 days now, my MTS seem fine, but I stopped as soon as I read it had these ingredients... Please someone help :(

Next to the micro nutrients, fertilizers contain chelates. The chelate is an organic molecule which binds metal ions thus protecting them from early precipitation. The preferred type is abbreviated DTPA because of its stability up to a pH level of 7.5
taken from this page Fertilizing Aquarium Plants - Algone.com

You may have to go onto their site to find out just how much of each metal is in their mix. It's likely to be just trace amounts of copper, but still wouldn't hurt to find out to be sure. In this case it may be worth paying a little extra to make sure you get the right stuff. Flourish comprehensive is good, or plantex CSM+B, tropica, miller microplex.

I'm in Aus and I have a fertilizer given to me that contains chelates of copper and I was wondering the same thing. I've been to scared to use it in my shrimp tank just incase.

Back
Top Bottom