Will eclipse catfish nip fins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SickMAK90

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon with several Tetras and 2 Eclipse catfish. The eclipse cats are the newest addition to the tank and suddenly all but 1 of my bleeding heart tetras are very beat up. Some have little to no fins left at all except the one. It looks perfect and so do the serpea and black skirt Tetras.

I am inclined to blame the 1 bleeding heart tetra, but there are a lot of fish in there and it seems unlikely it is only him. The other tetras and 1 blue gourami have little pieces gone every once in awhile, but the bleeding hearts are just about fin less. I should mention the catfish have a place here and there also. Nothing out of the ordinary for a tank full of Tetras.

So what is up? I will admit the water in my tank is pretty warm. That room is staying around 85 degrees since the AC took a dump this year. So I'm sure they aren't happy, but why only the bleeding hearts?

It wasn't the catfish. They never nip fins, if they're going to "nip" anything they would just eat the entire fish. (I also have two sun catfish)
What are the numbers of your tetra schools?

There are 8 bleeding hearts, 5 serpea, 2 black skirts (was 5 originally), and 5 cardinals. All have been fine until recently which was why I was wondering about the catfish. I honestly didn't think they would have anything to do with it.

All the other fish have been together for over 2 years. For some reason I did lose 3 black skirts shortly after moving, but everyone else was fine.

Back
Top Bottom