Will fish eat flies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patryuji

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just wondering if they would eat flies if they were floating around on the surface of the water. Someone let one in the house and it was buzzing around my head annoying me. I snatched it out of the air and tossed it into the tank but nobody is going for it...it is roughly 1/4" long (yeah, its a pretty big fly). I thought for sure the angelfish would go for it...but it hasn't yet.

Depends on the fish I suppose.

I know for sure my puffer would have eaten it the second it hit the surface. lol. But he also eats lots of crickets so he's used to that type of food.

-brent

I would maybe worry a little about disease. Flies have been known to carry strange bugs(pardon the pun). I personally would just toss the fly in the garbage!

JMO

I just asked this question myself about a month ago! :)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=23598

It was because my book, "You and Your Aquarium" said that you could feed them insects, as long as you killed them by crushing them (aka swatting) and not with chemicals.

I decided against it as all my fish are pretty small and wouldn't be able to even dream of fitting one in their mouths. Maybe if I had larger fish I would attempt it.

Paul

The comets in my pond love it when I swat flies and feed them. I think it really does depend on the fish, do your angels normally feed at the surface?

my convicts eat spiders and flys, i fed them some cockles the other day too, they seem to like most things..

It really does depend on the type of fish.
I know my Oscars will eat any bug I put in the tank.
Mostly crickets.

Okay...I guess I need to remember to use the "search" feature.

Almost every fish in my tank has become accustomed to feeding at the surface for flake food (loaches, angelfish, ram, SAE).

It was actually still alive when I tossed it in the tank so I dunked it under the water a bit to keep it from flying away. Last I saw it was floating around on its back. Either the angelfish did eventually eat it or it escaped from my tank because I don't see it anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom