Will glass hoods work under a canopy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjcatlin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I would like to get glass hoods to let more light into my aquarium. Does anyone know if they will work, can open all the way, under a canopy? I have a 60 gallon tank with a canopy.

rjcatlin said:
I would like to get glass hoods to let more light into my aquarium. Does anyone know if they will work, can open all the way, under a canopy? I have a 60 gallon tank with a canopy.

Glass tops to let MORE light in? I'm confused. I has those glass tips on my 75g and they were annoying. Always had to move my light back so I can rest the glass tops on them so they would stay open. When I bought the matching wood canopy do my tank/stand I tossed the glass tops and just have the light and canopy to cover it all.

The glass always gets dirty and I was always cleaning it because it would hold back some light. That was another reason I tossed them. Also without them and just the canopy, feeding, water changes are so much easier to do.

You do have evaporation issues but nothing a top off can't handle.

I would think WITHOUT the glass tops you would get MORE light to hit your tank.

Convict2161 said:
Glass tops to let MORE light in? I'm confused. I has those glass tips on my 75g and they were annoying. Always had to move my light back so I can rest the glass tops on them so they would stay open. When I bought the matching wood canopy do my tank/stand I tossed the glass tops and just have the light and canopy to cover it all.

The glass always gets dirty and I was always cleaning it because it would hold back some light. That was another reason I tossed them. Also without them and just the canopy, feeding, water changes are so much easier to do.

You do have evaporation issues but nothing a top off can't handle.

I would think WITHOUT the glass tops you would get MORE light to hit your tank.

+1 to this. Unless you have fish known to jump, then a glass top is a good idea.

I have African Cichlids and they are pretty feisty. They do jump, I her them do it all the time. It even scares my wife sometimes.

Also, the aquarium has the standard plastic tops that came with the tank's T8 light fixtures. I now have a T5 unit.

rjcatlin said:
I got glass canopies yesterday they work great. They appear to let in more light too.

I'm sorry I'm just not understanding how, since glass reflects about 4% of light, that the glass tops are allowing more light into your tank, please forgive me I'm just trying to get a handle on how glass tops are letting more light in your tank as opposed to no glass tops. I'm trying to think about it and using my own experience with my glass tops on my own 75g with a nice wooden canopy.

The glass with reflect light. No much BUT it will reflect back a certain degree of light as mentioned about 4% this is another reason why you see your reflection in glass, it andorbs and reflects light. Also when you start to get moisture buildup and those droplets of water start to form on the glass tops the water forming on the glass tops will only reflect back even more light thus allowing less light into your tank. It just seems logical that without a glass top or any obstruction from the light fixture to the top of the water would be best for more light.

I'm really trying to understand the concept of glass tops allowing more light then without. I can't wrapped my head around it lol.

Also the glass tops will require cleaning often, they will get messy and you'll get a buildup of algae which will then also divert light from reaching your tank. Maybe a picture? Because for me and again this is just me. But with a canopy the glass tops were just in the way all too many times.

Also to do water changes, feeding etc. I always had to take the canopy off to get the glass tops to open. It was a major pain. But if works for ya all the best.

Good luck and I'm glad your happy with them. I would only say keep them clean they.

Also what lights are you using.

Last edited:
The opening in the standard canopies were narrower than the light fixture itself. That, I believe would tend to light more light in, but I could just be a moron too. Which is generally the case.

No need for sarcasm I don't think your a moron nor would imply such. I'm sorry if you took my post the wrong way. I was just curious as to how it's letting more light in. Don't sweat it. I apologize if I struck a cord.

:)

Enjoy your weekend and your tank.

Its ok, thank you for your help. I'm one who tends to overreact to things. Writing only conveys about 10% of our intended communication. Take care.

Back
Top Bottom