Will I be overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaraB

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a moderately planted 55 gallon aquarium.
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 5 ppm
Nitrates 0
My water change schedule is about 50% weekly
The stocking is as follows
1 betta
3 female platys
10 black neon tetras
A couple of molly fry from when I had mollies but are too young to catch and sell

Would I be overstocked if I add some otocinclus? If not what would be the ideal number to add?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20190915_082828.jpg
    20190915_082828.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 46
You wouldn't be overstocked, but keep in mind the otos do better with a decent amount of algae or bio film of a well established tank. Don't know how long it's been running, so just a general warning. I'm waiting a couple months before I get otos for my 100 gallon I set up last month.

The recommendation is 6 or so since their a shoaling fish.

It's been set up for a few months and I have a healthy supply of brown algae on the back "wall". Brown algae is the one they like right? I also have sinking algae pellets. Is there anything else that would eat brown algae if it's not the kind they like?

Mystery snails will. I love my mystery snails. And for the otos, supplementing with seaweed sheets helps too

Mystery snails always die within a month for me and I have no idea why. I kind of wanted the otocinclus to keep my plants free from algae and I know for sure they won't eat the plants like some snails do.

They'll definitely do that.

Interesting about the mystery snails. Mine breed like crazy.

My SAEs do a pretty good job on the diatoms as well, though they seem to prefer the 6ft long 100g to the 4ft long 55g and 75g tanks I've had them in.

Yeah I bought 3 hoping that they would breed into more snails but that never happened. The food I feed my fish dosen't have copper any neither does the fertilizer that I use.
I can try the otocinclus and if they don't work I have a lfs that takes fish.

Back
Top Bottom