Will I be overstocking if I add another school of fish to my 37 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrypticE

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 37 gallon with an Aquaclear 70 filter. It currently has a Betta, 14 neon tetras, 5 Emerald Cories and 3 Otos (will get 3-4 more when LFS restocks). I was thinking about adding another schooling fish, maybe Cherry Barbs? Would my tank be fine if I keep up with weekly water changes? It also has plenty of plants (Amazon Swords, Crypt Wendtii, Java Fern, Water Sprite, Ludwigia and S Repens) so I'd think those will also help keep nitrates down.

I have a 29 gal with 27 fish. It is a high tannin tank but I have a lot of surface plants and moss and am running an aquaclear 70 on it and my nitrates stay under 30 even if I skip 2 or 3 weeks of water changes. You should be fine with all of those small fish. Just be careful with ottos and make sure you have enough biofilm for them to graze on. Also I've never kept barbs but I have heard they can be slightly nippy so be weary of that. But stock wise you will be fine keeping up with weekly waterchange

I think you would be overstocking keeping in mind you must consider a fish's adult size. Hope this helps.

^^ This.

Running an overstocked tank isn't necessarily a bad thing. I ran a
cichlid tank overstocked for years. It looks awesome. Keep a close eye
on your water parameters after adding the fish, and adjust your
maintenance accordingly, and you'll be fine.

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor has a fairly good calculator for tank stocking.

+1 on the calculator to get a rough idea.

Remember, some fish do well in a crowded environment and others are highly stressed. Stress leads to disease. Aggression is also a possible issue. Research your particular fish well before thinking about maxing out your tank.

Back
Top Bottom