Will my pleco eat a amazon sword

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have purchased a amazon sword I have heard that plecos will eat them and that they wonte can someone tell me the correct answer and if they do how do I prevent it.

Thanks.

I have purchased a amazon sword I have heard that plecos will eat them and that they wonte can someone tell me the correct answer and if they do how do I prevent it.

Thanks.

I have various swords in my tanks, and the only things that eat them are pesky snails. My BN clean them and my ferns etc of algae, but they don't damage the leaves. Possibly people are mistaking this behavior for eating the plants themselves? Or perhaps they are blaming plecos when snails are the culprits? Or perhaps they don't feed their poor plecos and they get so desperate that they DO eat the plants?

As long as the plants are healthy, your swords will be fine with plecos. Unhealthy and decaying plants may get consumed in the course of the fish eating the algae off of them.

David

Pleco's don't actually eat Amazon Swords but sometimes they like to get on the leaves and rasp on them causing thin area's on the leaves. My bristlenose used to do that off and on and other pleco's over the years have. Not all do it but don't be surprised if it does it.

Common Plecos can grow over a foot long. 25 gallons is absurdly insufficient. You should think about getting some ottos cats, shrimps, and snails for cleanup duty. If the pleco is left in the 25 gallon tank it will die from stunting its growth.

Yes I know they get huge I'm planning on rehoming him. Just have to find someone. I have three ghost shrimp and a few cory catfish.

NYgiantsRP if you aren't going to even attempt to answer the OPs questions why did you post?

OP, I've had only a bristle nose in my tanks so I can't comment on commons.

But my BN used to graze along the leaves of my Anubias and I could see rasp markings left on the leaves.

Swords are a lot softer so I assume the damage will be worse.

Back
Top Bottom