Will my pleco live in my pond?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shadownova

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a pleco and I am wondering if it will survive in my 250,000+ gallon pond. I live in Ohio so it might get a little cold but it is about 10-13 feet deep so it might be okay on the bottom. Anything will help!

- nova

I'd be worried about the cold more than anything, I'd say no just because of that.

But, in warmer areas, people releasing plecos has become a real problem because they do so well in lakes and ponds, so in a secluded pond it would be fine.

It's just the weather that would worry me.

Yeah we rarely go fishing out there and I think the biggest threat is a big hungry fish but anything else you think might harm it let me know

Even though it's deep the cold will reach those depths in ohio. Even a common pleco which is the most cold tolerant of them all wouldn't be able to winter in a pond that far north. Most people will agree 50-55° minimum for commons.

The ground temp is always about 55 degrees so that is what it would be at the bottom.

It may be too cold for them but the air becomes colder faster than air, and the deeper the pond is, the more heat since it is underground, insulated. u could add a heater, besides, plecos r extremely hardy and can adapt to short periods of cold temperature, but not for a season, the pond should be private!

I live in Pennsylvania rite next door to ohio and i know for a fact that in the dead of winter our lakes around here down to a depth of 20' or more barely get to 40°
Thats way to cold for any pleco. I had a similar thread concerning dojo loaches wintering in my pond and researched water temps at diffrent times of the year down to 30+'

Well leave the pleco out for the other seasons then place the pleco in a temporary tank for the winter until spring!

I only have one tank, the Pleco is already about four inches long, my tank is only fifteen gal. and I'm already pushing the inch a gallon rule

Back
Top Bottom