Will shrimp coexist with existing fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been thinking if maybe getting some shrimp to go in my tank, but I'm a bit worried that they'll get eaten. My main concern is our blue three spot gourami, but I've also got blue tetras and guppies. Would they be safe? And also, I've seen some cherry shrimp that are quite pretty, are they algae eaters? And if so, what sort of algae do they eat? Would they eat hair algae, diatoms, green algae, spot algae?

Swordtails really enjoy shrimp also. My ghost shrimp were very enjoyable to them.

Last edited:
Cherry shrimp would not last very long at all in your tank. Frozen brine shrimp are one of the most popular foods that hobbyist feed their fish, fish love them. Cherry shrimp are not that much bigger than brine shrimp and will be eaten by just about any fish that can fit them in their mouth. They are also red and easy for fish to see. They do eat algae although I cannot be specific about which kind of algae they will eat. Amano or bamboo shrimp might be a better choice as they are larger and might not be eaten by your fish. Nerite snails are also a good choice, they come in attractive colors, don't reproduce in freshwater and also eat algae.

Back
Top Bottom