Will These Fish Get ALong Together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Now I have already set up my tank, and I am waiting about a week(with cycle) before I put in my fish. Which is Friday because if I order fish Thursday I HAVE to pick them up Friday.I would wait longer. Anyway. I have got a list of fish here and if you guys think they will kill each other let me know. I am going for a semi aggressive tank. I will need a bigger tank eventually to accommodate the Plecos,but for now it is plenty This list will be updated so post the number of the list when/if you reply.
Here goes: List 5
1 Angel
3 rose line sharks
1 Red Hi fin Pleco
3 tiger barbs
maybe:
1 other Angel

Here goes: List 4
1 Platinum Angel
1 Black Angel
1 Red Hi fin Pleco
2 Bolivian Rams
1 rose line sharks
maybe:
1 Koi Angel
2 Gouramies (not sure on color)

Last edited:
Welcome to AA! Are you just letting your tank cycle for a week? What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? Do you know about the full nitrogen cycle?

What size is your tank?

Now that I'm done asking questions, I'll start answering some :D

As for List 1:

Plecos can be territorial, including the hi-fin (if it is a sail pleco... go here for info Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps • Loricariidae • Cat-eLog • PlanetCatfish) and common pleco. So, expect fighting... maybe somebody more catfish-educated than I can explain what those fights might be like.

Angelfish are beautiful right? And they normally are fine in groups, when they're young. But, when they grow (and maybe while they're young), 1 male and 1 female are all you can really keep in an aquarium smaller than 90 gallons, usually. Otherwise you'll have shredded, injured, or even dead angelfish.

Also, bala sharks, the common and hifin pleco, and clown loaches all need a 6 foot tank eventually. If you are not willing to upgrade to a 6 foot tank, and maintain it for upwards of 15+ years (clown loach life span), then please reconsider some of your choices!

Plus the clown loaches like to be kept in schools (5 fish minimum).

If you tell us what size of tank you have, and what size you may want to upgrade to eventually, we can suggest some suitable stock.

It looks like, from kyoto's pleco id thread, you have anywhere from a 10g to a 30g tall.

Well, from reading your intro post i see this is going to be a 37 gal tank or i think thats what i remember but either way your angels are about the only thing i see ok going in the tank. You have planned wayy to many plecos for the size of that tank. A normal common pleco can reach 24 in and thats pretty much tooo big for any tank around here...even my 250 gal IMO. The bala shark will get bigger than 10-12 in and thats way to big for a 37 gal (trust me..capital aquarium in sac has one) As far as gouarmis are concerned well...see my last comment....(capitol aquarium in sac has one that almost 2 ft long..his name is capt ahab the second...not kidding either)

If your gonna do angels then i would try neons (some will say they will get eatin by the angels, but if you get the angels small enough and the neons first you wont have an issue IMO) you could also go with black skirt tetras, gold barbs or any assorted tetra. I would reccomend otos for algae eaters and if your hung up on a pleco then go with the bristlenose as they will not get as long as a reg. pleco (only 3-4in at most)

Post some pics when your done and PM me if you need local help.

Plecos fight by just swimming around each other. They kick up a lot of crud in the process as well, although I don't think I've ever seen one get hurt in a fight though.

I agree with the others, the plecs will get too big, as well the clown loaches and bala shark.Depending on the species of gourami it may be too big. I really doubt it's the 1' variety, though; I think it's probably a Trichogaster Spp.

yes i am letting it cycle. i haven't checked those as it is not done cycling. yes i know about the nitrogen cycle.

Ok I have never heard of them fighting. I'll probably just get one pleco. My tank size as is is 37 gal. I was going to upgrade to maybe 100 gallons hopefully in the future.The angelfish should be fine. Capital is three about full size in like a 10 gallon tank and they all appear very healthy. The loaches I might reconsider. Any other replacement suggestion fish. I liked the loaches because they add some color to the tank but I was also considering doing an all silver/black tank.
How do toy tell the difference between female and male angel fish?
just checked. only difference is at spawning. what happens if i get two males?
img_1117897_0_1970b89d05ca28eb8f0d24580ef1862c.jpg

ok well first off, the angels in that tank will basically nip each others fin if its not male + female, i suggest you go with 1 male + female, otos, loaches that dont grow that big, tetras/guppies, other than those suggestions, i dont know what else to tell ya =[ sorry

your tank looks really nice so far. are the plants real? are you planning on doing a background? i think black or dark blue would look nice (black would help disguise the wires that are inside). i agree with everyone's stocking suggestions. also, if you are definitely set on a pleco, then either go with the bristlenose variety unless you know you will definitely be able to upgrade to a nice large tank. if you are not able to upgrade, and you have a huge pleco that needs more room, chances are you will already be attached to the fish and will not want to give it up. so either you will lose a friend or have a very unhappy one. just a thought. if you fore-go the pleco, you could get a little group of 4-6 cories instead. i think they would get along well with angelfish (just googled it a little, may want to check on it yourself). also, instead of angelfish, you could get 1m and 2f dwarf gouramis (i wouldn't do gouramis and angelfish, just one or the other). there are some different types/colors of the dwarf version. if you're looking for color, and if tetras really are ok with angels, i would get cardinals. extremely colorful (especially with your kind of setup) and with 8+ they will school together. just my preference. anyway, looking good so far, can't wait to see it stocked! :D

ok well first off, the angels in that tank will basically nip each others fin if its not male + female, i suggest you go with 1 male + female, otos, loaches that dont grow that big, tetras/guppies, other than those suggestions, i dont know what else to tell ya =[ sorry

Mated pairs of angels cost a lot of $$$. It's more economical to just buy 3-4 and when they pair up take the remainder back to the store.

but i am getting different kinda of angels. will they still mate and pair. how do i know if its male or female angels, because from what i researched there is no difference after birth.and i was gonna get three. tetras arent ok with angels they will get eaten like guppies.

I don't like the bristle nose plecos. Cories are kinda nice ill check them out. if they are semi aggressive shouldn't they go along together no matter the species. I do plan on getting a bigger tank eventually. I was thinking 100 gallon.

yes they are all live real plants

and crepe, my mom has been growing bamboo is just water for years.

if they are semi aggressive shouldn't they go along together no matter the species.

what do you mean? cories are peaceful fish. they are bottom dwellers, and a decent size, so the angels shouldn't pick on them. don't know though, every fish is different, right?

and crepe, my mom has been growing bamboo is just water for years.

Those types of bamboo are supposed to have only the roots below water. They will rot and pollute your tank if you keep the whole thing submerged. They only work well in aquaria if you get them tall enough so that the leaves and the cut portion of the stalk stay out of the water.

They are Dracaena Sanderiana, also know as lucky bamboo, golden ribbon plant etc.
They are not a truly aquatic plant:
PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

Oh, and since you know about the nitrogen cycle, then you know it takes more than a week for the tank to safely support fish. :)

****. Ill get rid of the bamboo. That sucks. It would have been so cool.And i did. still bamboo didnt come up and i have amazon swords not whatever you posted.

Anyway back on topic, the gouramies should be ok with the angelfish right? The dwarf ones come up as community though

Yes, different color morphs of angels will interbreed. You just need to pick your favorites. The dwarf gouramis would need 1M :2-3F to be happy and already with several angels tensions will flare regardless of demeanor.

So then what kind of fish would be ok to get with my angels? Should i just get two angels? How long does it take to mate and pair so I know to return the other ones like i think you said?

yes i am letting it cycle. i haven't checked those as it is not done cycling. yes i know about the nitrogen cycle.

If you know about the nitrogen cycle, then you know it will take longer than a week to cycle your tank. Haven't read through this thread thoroughly so I'm assuming it is a new tank?

If you know about the nitrogen cycle, then you know it will take longer than a week to cycle your tank. Haven't read through this thread thoroughly so I'm assuming it is a new tank?

yeah ibut i am also using Nutrafin Cycle. I'm using that for the lost time. It is a new tank, but I am not new to fish tanks. My last tank was much smaller(10gal) and was destroyed by snails!!!!!!!! +(

How do I change that surf in the shell thing.

How do I change that surf in the shell thing.[/QUOTE]

You have to earn reputation points by giving good advice, if someone gives you good advice click on the white scales and add to their reputation.

Back
Top Bottom