Will these tankmates work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kuhli Loach

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello fellow aquaruium enthusiasts, I am brand new to the forum and this is my first question :). Will 1 rainbow shark, 1 angelfish, 2 plecos, 3-4 Kuhli Loaches and 4-5 Danois or 3-5 gouramis work together as tank mates in a 30 gallon tank???

No, 3-5 gouramis is never a winning plan. The rainbow will need a larger tank usually, preferably a 55. But one angel would work as long as their werent many other fish. Not sure about danios but i think theyd be alright. What type of plecos? Oh and the kuhulis would be perfectly fine

I would say no. What kind of Plecos? You could have one smaller variety (clown or bristlenose). I think rainbow shark will get too big for your tank. The other fish should be fine although angels need room to swim and prefer a deeper tank.

Yeah its a tall 30 so it will have plenty of room and they would be bristlenose plecos... And any suggestions for a substitue for the rainbow that is semi-agresive?

Yeah, I think I saw those in my local pet store the other day! How many should I get?

I would probably not go with SAE, they really should be in groups since they shoal tightly and get rather large, I have some in my 125 that are always together and are around 4 1/2" long.

The BN pleco is a good idea though, I like the longfinned ones personally.

So 1 angelfish 4 kuhlis 4-5 danios 1 bn pleco, and one more aggresive fish species...

A 30 tall doesn't afford many choices honestly, it's a very limited horizontal space and you already have one semi aggressive fish in there. You might consider something like a dwarf or honey gourami, or a paradisefish. I have some paradisefish with some angels and they get along fine except when the angels are spawning.

Alright so just a recap, 1 angelfish 4 kuhlis 4-5 danios 1 bn pleco and a dwarf or honey gourami or a paradisefish?

I'd get more kuhli loaches. You'll never see them otherwise. Mine always disappeared months on end only to reappear when I did a gravel vac.

K, any more advice or suggestions? And which fish should I get first?

Alright should I get them all at once or 1-2 at a time because I'm goon on wensday, then Friday, then Monday...

Never get fish all at once...stagger them. Maybe 6 fish max per go. The larger the tank the more fish you can add at once.

Ok, Thank you all for your advice in leading me to a successful tank!

Back
Top Bottom