Will this combination of tropical fish wok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I am completely changing my tropical world. I have changed my 120 litre tank for a 150 litre tank. I plan on exchanging the gravel for some fine sand. I have some bogwood and plan on acquiring more, currently my clown loach lives here all on this own. I also have a pirate ship in which the plaque and black shark live in together. All the other fish are happy to swim in the open water all day.
I currently have 1 clown loach, 1 red tailed black shark, 1 female guppy, 2 male guppies, 1 neon tetra, 1 plaque, and a silver barb.
I want to get much more bog wood and other ornaments first (as hiding places and interest) I also want to keep a community tank. My current plan for the new tank is, in total (including the fish I already have): 4 clown loaches, 3 silver sharks, 5 female guppies, 2 male guppies, 1 plaque, 1 black loach (I want more but I’m pretty sure you can only keep one?), and 5 silver barbs.
I want to get some other fish however I also need some inspiration (and also obviously knowledge about what else can mix with these fish). Please tell me if for some reason my plan won’t work or any adjustments I need to make, thank-you!

So this is a 40 gallon am I correct? Clown loaches can get very large and I dont think one let alone 4 would be a good idea in that small of a tank...

Yes, around 40 gallons, and would they be ok for several years if I bought them young? (I don't mind swapping them in after 2+ years if I would have to).

I think you should research your fish a bit more :) I wouldn't do a shark in a 40 gal with other fish; the shark alone would do best in at least a 100 gal tank. The neons and probably the barbs need a larger school; one fish won't be happy by itself. You might be able to keep the clowns for awhile if you buy them very young but they also prefer groups of 5+ and in a 40gal that's probably all you could comfortably fit in there aside from maybe a group of neons. Just be sure you can actually upgrade tanks when the time comes; a group of adult clowns alone need a 150+ gal tank.

Plecos are always a good idea, I would suggest some bristlenose plecos maybe one or 2 max. Coreys are always fun and in a 40 gal, or 150 liter you could add 5 comfortably I would say and they are very active in my tank, but they may try to gain turf in your pirate ship. I would suggest trying to add another cave area or something to prevent that shark from becoming too territorial when other fish try to go to the ship.

Back
Top Bottom