Will this combo work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cjazinski

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone, i just bought a molly (black) 1 black snail, 1 golden snail, and i already had 7 goldfish feeders. will everything get along or should i be looking for problems to arise. Also i heard that the snails will repopulate very quickly is this the case? Thanks for the help.

This should be an ok combination, apart from the fact that your tank is overstocked and probably still uncycled....... :?

I'm not sure exactly on your tank size or history, so I can't comment on it being overstocked. Some people say that snails reproduce quickly, but I've had them for about 8 months and they still haven't reproduced. I had 12 snails in one tank, and I still haven't had any babies.

How big is your tank?
Unless your tank is 70gal, it is overstocked. Ten gallons per one goldfish is the rule.
Molly's require different water than goldfish. Molly's need warm water with salt... while goldfish are cold water w/o salt.

If I remember correctly...you are using the feeders to cycle the tank? You should have been a little more patient. Your snails will more than likely not get enough nourishment since the tank isn't established yet. Mollies never do well in an immature tank.

Feeder goldies are also known to be a bit unkept at a lot, if not most, shops: both LFS and BigBox shops. I would keep a keen eye for any form of disease or problem and keep on top of it. Don't use any chemicals if you don't have to though.

I agree that you should have waited on the Molly. Sounds like you are indeed overstocked. Feeders can get up to 12", if not more. I've got a friend with about 6 in a Koi pond (1000+ gal) and they range from 8" to 12".

As for temperature, goldies are a cold water fish, but can tolerate a mid-tropical water and aquarium salt. In fact, a standard treatment without "chemicals" for a goldie is to put in some aquarium salt (very small dose) and raise the temp slowly up to 78F. My fancy goldie is holding steady at 80F during a cycle with a small dose of aquarium salt.

So in regards to climate, you SHOULD be alright as long as the feeders are already stable in a warmer environment. More than likely, most of your feeders will pass the cycle stress, if they are healthy. You snail should also do alright. You need to keep an eye on the Molly though for sure.

Back
Top Bottom