Will this dresser be ok for my 20 gallon long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajw8071

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, this is my first post but after reading a bit it looked as though the people here were very helpful so I figured I'd throw a question out. I have a solid wood dresser that is very sturdy and I am currently using it for my 20 gallon long setup. I believe it to be completely fine but I just wanted some opinions. The tank is level, I checked multiple times/areas with a 3ft. level. Here are some pics, as you can see it's solid wood not press board and the top slab is almost an inch thick. The tank is also about 2-3 inches away from the edge of the dresser on all sides. (The tank currently has no fish, just set up, so it's a bit foggy.)
dresser.jpg
dresser1.jpg
dresser2.jpg
dresser3.jpg

my friend has a 20H on a dresser similar to that one. i would saw its ok.

just drive the dresser a slight bump and open the draws fast. simulate the worst case scenario. know what i mean?

Yea, aside from a person getting tackled directly into that dresser at high speeds, a bump wont do much at all, I checked that upon placement, and the drawers open smoothly/easily. Thank you for the input.

We all hear a lot about how much tanks (water) weighs. I had a thought: How many bookcases carry books, with a total weight more than a 20 gal tank, on much a more flimsy frame work than a dresser or tank stand.

Not to mention that the floor never collapses on a home library full of bookcases........

Opening and closing drawers might make your fish dart about.

I don't currently have any fish in there, letting it run a few days to settle before I add anything, but the open and close drawer test was just a continuity test really to check for wobbles/making sure the drawers opened easily under the pressure of the tank. Thanks for the bookshelf reference as well that helps put things into a nice perspective and eases the mind a bit.

I had a 20 gal. on top of a dresser and the only thing that opening and closing the drawers did was make them go to the top to be fed . Other than that , it never fazed them .

The weight of the tank will hold it down good to dresser. The dress will warp in time with PWC tho if im corect it isnt a solid wood dresser.

I don't currently have any fish in there, letting it run a few days to settle before I add anything, but the open and close drawer test was just a continuity test really to check for wobbles/making sure the drawers opened easily under the pressure of the tank. Thanks for the bookshelf reference as well that helps put things into a nice perspective and eases the mind a bit.
going to cycle the tank?

Back
Top Bottom