Will this work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1FatFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello All,
I am new to the forums. I have been lurking around for awhile and finally decided to register..
I recently purchased a 55 gal. I currently have a few neon tetras in there (6) and 1 catfish small..
I would love to add a Black Ghost Knifefish to my tank. I love the way they look.
My girlfriend wants to add discus and angelfish.. Would this work?
Also, what else would I be able to add in conjunction with the neons, discuss, knifefish and angels without any problems??
I greatly appreciate any and all suggestions..

Best Regards,
Richie, NYC

[center:c0201ff5e3] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, 1FatFish! :n00b: [/center:c0201ff5e3]
Also, what else would I be able to add in conjunction with the neons, discuss, knifefish and angels without any problems??
I own a lot of fish, but none of these. I'm not sure if they all have the same water requirements and temperament. The neons may get eaten by the angels.
Start with Freshwater & Brackish - Fish or Plant Profiles--there are a couple of profiles of fish you mentioned. Then look at some general fish profiles--use the thread, Links to FW Profile Sites.
Of course others will chime in with advice, too!

My girlfriend wants to add discus and angelfish.. Would this work?

Discus are very difficult to keep, and IMO should be in a species tank. At the very least kept with cardinals instead of neons. Like menagerie said, angels may eat the neons. It sounds like you guys are going for a South American set up, and with a tank that big, I would go for a lot of plants and some small cichlids. Some of the easier fish to care for from that region are the many tetras, cory catfish--some of the harder are rams and the aforementioned discus. If you would be willing to return the neons (or willing to consider neons food), some of the bigger cichlids from that region will work nicely in a tank that size.

Basically, in a tank that size, you could have a slew of schooling fish (my favorite being a school of hatchets, a school of cardinals, and a school of cories) or a species tank with one or two good sized cichlids.

In any case, you are taking a wise step in asking before buying :wink: . Good Luck!

I read that neons are the natural prey of angels. But I've heard of people having success with both of them if the angels are bought really small and brought up with the neons around. Although they may just see it as an all you can eat buffet that they just can't fit into their mouths yet.

You said you have been lurking for a while so hopefully you've taken the time to check out the articles section on the site. If not, then take a look. There are some really good ones in there, some of which I would call "required reading" (nitrogen cycle for sure).

I currently have 2 large angelfish who were bought while small, and are now big enough to eat the school of neons. The angelfish ignore the neons completely.

Back
Top Bottom