Will this work as extra filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had a spare penguin filter catridge laying around from when i had a penguin 100 filter a while back. I have had this aqueon quiet flow 20 on my 20g and decided i would try to put this spare filter cartridge to use. So i stuck it right behind the aqueon catridge and it the flow looks fine. Could this actually work as a pre filter for the aqueon cartridge? I will take it out over the night till i get answers so no sweat. Thanks

Yes of course, i dont see any reason why not. Ot would also allow you to alternate sponges when cleaning.

Hello Fish...

This bit of extra filtration isn't going to do much to keep the tank water clean, if this is your reason for adding it. The filtration equipment is designed for surface agitation that's necessary to mix oxygen into the tank water and to allow carbon dioxide to escape (gas exchange) more than from keeping the tank water pure. The filter equipment is just taking in toxic water and replacing that with water that's a bit less toxic. But, if you have extras, then absolutely use them.

B

I'd ditch the cartridges altogether and stock the aqueon like an aquaclear. That's what I did on my A10 and I haven't touched the media since, with the exception of replacing the poly fill once a month

Just like this

Attachments

• image-182082505.jpg
    image-182082505.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 117
  • image-1865844604.jpg
    image-1865844604.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 110
What is that on the left of the right picture? It looks like activated carbon, in a bag, submerged in water. But the setup looks nice. Is it better to have it this way, instead using the normal cartridges?

It's actually just the water flow in the first chamber no carbon lol the reddish part is a sponge, then ceramic rings, and topped off with polyfill

What is that on the left of the right picture? It looks like activated carbon, in a bag, submerged in water. But the setup looks nice. Is it better to have it this way, instead using the normal cartridges?

Yes it's much better, the problem with cartridges is that the concept is to continually replace them which actually hurts the system because it becomes a site for BB. Once you remove it your removing bacteria. It's basically over priced polyfill because the amount of carbon in those things is a joke.

Yes it's much better, the problem with cartridges is that the concept is to continually replace them which actually hurts the system because it becomes a site for BB. Once you remove it your removing bacteria. It's basically over priced polyfill because the amount of carbon in those things is a joke.

I will try that then! Last catridge anyway lol!

What is polyfill? Also how do you get rid of the toxic stuff if you dnt have carbon??? I got a quiet flow 50 from a reef raffle at my lfs and am gonna use your idea, going to petco right now to see what they have that i could put in there.

What is polyfill? Also how do you get rid of the toxic stuff if you dnt have carbon??? I got a quiet flow 50 from a reef raffle at my lfs and am gonna use your idea, going to petco right now to see what they have that i could put in there.

Polyfill is like what they stuff a typical pillow with. Petco probably has it but it will be a little more expensive because it was packaged for aquarium use. You can get it at craft stores also but if you do you have to make sure it's 100% polyfill with no fire retardants or mildew blockers. And chemical filtration like carbon is completely unnecessary unless the toxins your referring to are medications etc. The BB will take care of your ammonia and nitrite. TDS wise there is no solution except for WC's as carbon can only breakdown certain dissolved solids (size wise) and its not worth the investment. Hope this helps

Polyfill is like what they stuff a typical pillow with. Petco probably has it but it will be a little more expensive because it was packaged for aquarium use. You can get it at craft stores also but if you do you have to make sure it's 100% polyfill with no fire retardants or mildew blockers. And chemical filtration like carbon is completely unnecessary unless the toxins your referring to are medications etc. The BB will take care of your ammonia and nitrite. TDS wise there is no solution except for WC's as carbon can only breakdown certain dissolved solids (size wise) and its not worth the investment. Hope this helps

I was trying to build a diy filter a while back and got some pillow filling, I never got to it but i still have the filling. So there is really no use for carbon in FW? also is there somthing else i can use instead of ceramic media to grow bb? I picked up some marine land "Rite Size" bonded filter pad for a sponge to replace the other filter pad that would have costed me 10$ for one but here i have 10 pads for 8$ lol.

Btw i am treating for ich right now because of a dumb buy at petsmart, does the carbon defeat the meds? Im useing Rid ich plus by kordon...

Btw i am treating for ich right now because of a dumb buy at petsmart, does the carbon defeat the meds? Im useing Rid ich plus by kordon...

Yeah that's great stuff love Rid Ich. And yeah don't use carbon it will absorb the meds. There is a place for carbon in freshwater but its an unnecessary additive for everyday filtration. It gets exhausted quickly and it's expensive to replace

Yeah that's great stuff love Rid Ich. And yeah don't use carbon it will absorb the meds. There is a place for carbon in freshwater but its an unnecessary additive for everyday filtration. It gets exhausted quickly and it's expensive to replace

So when treating i should just use the bonded filter pad with no carbon?

Back
Top Bottom