Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Will this work as extra filtration?

I had a spare penguin filter catridge laying around from when i had a penguin 100 filter a while back. I have had this aqueon quiet flow 20 on my 20g and decided i would try to put this spare filter cartridge to use. So i stuck it right behind the aqueon catridge and it the flow looks fine. Could this actually work as a pre filter for the aqueon cartridge? I will take it out over the night till i get answers so no sweat. Thanks
__________________

__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
molliwopp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Uk, England.
Posts: 2,110
Yes of course, i dont see any reason why not. Ot would also allow you to alternate sponges when cleaning.
__________________

__________________
Fish die belly upward and rise to the surface. It's their way of falling.


[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
molliwopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by molliwopp View Post
Yes of course, i dont see any reason why not. Ot would also allow you to alternate sponges when cleaning.
Thanks! Pretty happy i finally found a use for all these penguin catridges i have lol thanks again!
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
BBradbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,011
Hello Fish...

This bit of extra filtration isn't going to do much to keep the tank water clean, if this is your reason for adding it. The filtration equipment is designed for surface agitation that's necessary to mix oxygen into the tank water and to allow carbon dioxide to escape (gas exchange) more than from keeping the tank water pure. The filter equipment is just taking in toxic water and replacing that with water that's a bit less toxic. But, if you have extras, then absolutely use them.

B
__________________
"Fear not, my young apprentice. Just change the tank water."
BBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bshenanagins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,583
I'd ditch the cartridges altogether and stock the aqueon like an aquaclear. That's what I did on my A10 and I haven't touched the media since, with the exception of replacing the poly fill once a month
__________________
bshenanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshenanagins View Post
I'd ditch the cartridges altogether and stock the aqueon like an aquaclear. That's what I did on my A10 and I haven't touched the media since, with the exception of replacing the poly fill once a month
How would i go about this?
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bshenanagins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,583
Just like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-182082505.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	202552   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1865844604.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	202553  

__________________
bshenanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:36 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Maridia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 480
What is that on the left of the right picture? It looks like activated carbon, in a bag, submerged in water. But the setup looks nice. Is it better to have it this way, instead using the normal cartridges?
__________________
Maridia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bshenanagins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,583
It's actually just the water flow in the first chamber no carbon lol the reddish part is a sponge, then ceramic rings, and topped off with polyfill
__________________
bshenanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bshenanagins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maridia View Post
What is that on the left of the right picture? It looks like activated carbon, in a bag, submerged in water. But the setup looks nice. Is it better to have it this way, instead using the normal cartridges?
Yes it's much better, the problem with cartridges is that the concept is to continually replace them which actually hurts the system because it becomes a site for BB. Once you remove it your removing bacteria. It's basically over priced polyfill because the amount of carbon in those things is a joke.
__________________
bshenanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #11
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshenanagins View Post

Yes it's much better, the problem with cartridges is that the concept is to continually replace them which actually hurts the system because it becomes a site for BB. Once you remove it your removing bacteria. It's basically over priced polyfill because the amount of carbon in those things is a joke.
I will try that then! Last catridge anyway lol!
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bshenanagins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post

I will try that then! Last catridge anyway lol!
Ok! Trying to convert as many people as I can. Paying for those cartridge is ridiculous especially since you blow through them.
__________________
bshenanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #13
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshenanagins View Post

Ok! Trying to convert as many people as I can. Paying for those cartridge is ridiculous especially since you blow through them.
Yeah, so what do you put in yours?
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #14
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post

Yeah, so what do you put in yours?
Oh wait, nvm judt saw your post lol
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #15
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
What is polyfill? Also how do you get rid of the toxic stuff if you dnt have carbon??? I got a quiet flow 50 from a reef raffle at my lfs and am gonna use your idea, going to petco right now to see what they have that i could put in there.
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bshenanagins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post
What is polyfill? Also how do you get rid of the toxic stuff if you dnt have carbon??? I got a quiet flow 50 from a reef raffle at my lfs and am gonna use your idea, going to petco right now to see what they have that i could put in there.
Polyfill is like what they stuff a typical pillow with. Petco probably has it but it will be a little more expensive because it was packaged for aquarium use. You can get it at craft stores also but if you do you have to make sure it's 100% polyfill with no fire retardants or mildew blockers. And chemical filtration like carbon is completely unnecessary unless the toxins your referring to are medications etc. The BB will take care of your ammonia and nitrite. TDS wise there is no solution except for WC's as carbon can only breakdown certain dissolved solids (size wise) and its not worth the investment. Hope this helps
__________________
bshenanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #17
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshenanagins View Post

Polyfill is like what they stuff a typical pillow with. Petco probably has it but it will be a little more expensive because it was packaged for aquarium use. You can get it at craft stores also but if you do you have to make sure it's 100% polyfill with no fire retardants or mildew blockers. And chemical filtration like carbon is completely unnecessary unless the toxins your referring to are medications etc. The BB will take care of your ammonia and nitrite. TDS wise there is no solution except for WC's as carbon can only breakdown certain dissolved solids (size wise) and its not worth the investment. Hope this helps
I was trying to build a diy filter a while back and got some pillow filling, I never got to it but i still have the filling. So there is really no use for carbon in FW? also is there somthing else i can use instead of ceramic media to grow bb? I picked up some marine land "Rite Size" bonded filter pad for a sponge to replace the other filter pad that would have costed me 10$ for one but here i have 10 pads for 8$ lol.
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #18
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Btw i am treating for ich right now because of a dumb buy at petsmart, does the carbon defeat the meds? Im useing Rid ich plus by kordon...
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bshenanagins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post
Btw i am treating for ich right now because of a dumb buy at petsmart, does the carbon defeat the meds? Im useing Rid ich plus by kordon...
Yeah that's great stuff love Rid Ich. And yeah don't use carbon it will absorb the meds. There is a place for carbon in freshwater but its an unnecessary additive for everyday filtration. It gets exhausted quickly and it's expensive to replace
__________________
bshenanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #20
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshenanagins View Post

Yeah that's great stuff love Rid Ich. And yeah don't use carbon it will absorb the meds. There is a place for carbon in freshwater but its an unnecessary additive for everyday filtration. It gets exhausted quickly and it's expensive to replace
So when treating i should just use the bonded filter pad with no carbon?
__________________

__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.