Wits End: Mini-Cycle or Problem? HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeaneyN92

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum so sorry if I have posted in the wrong place.

I (like a few others) bought a 40l aquarium and went back 7 days later to purchase 2 male platy. I was told at the store I could go back in a month and buy some more fish if my parameters were OK. I had my water tested in store and bought 3 more platy.

I THEN learnt about the nitrogen cycle. I rushed to get all my kit to keep monitoring the situation. I did have cloudiness in the first month with my 2 platy and my parameters were all 0 at the LFS when I bought the other 3.

I have recently after a further month of monitoring upgraded to a larger aquarium (75 litres) for my 5 fish. Prior to this stats were good, sometime elevated ammonia (0.25ppm), 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate. I used my old filter to run alongside my new filter in my new tank and after putting in new substrate (sand) i used old tank water and topped up with treated tap.

MY problem is that since the move (Tuesday) I have been monitoring twice aday with API master kit and had constantly received ammonia (0.25ppm-1.0), 0.25ppm nitrite and 0-10ppm nitrate despite constantly PWC varying from 25%-50% depending on my parameters.

I am terrified of doing any damage to the fish and because of my parameters prior to the upgrade (they were fine for a few week) I thought my cycle had finished as my filter had been running 2 month.

Why is my water quality like this?! I am doing the PWC, using tetra water treatment and did use some nutrafin safe cycle but I am uncertain whether to use this at all after a lot of googling today.

What can I do to keep them down? (other than what I am doing?)

There is around 4 low maitenence plants, sand substate, Stringray 10 (old filter) and EHEIM 2010 (new) running. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, it does sounds like a mini-cycle. Just have to wait for everything to re-establish.

Did you check ph?

I added a bottle of tetra safe start to end my mini cycle...
Worked for me ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Changing tanks often causes that problem. The bacteria live on everything in the tank. When you disturb the substrate it often send ammonia levels up because a lot of stuff gets trapped in there. Using the old water really didn't do anything. Check PH and make sure it hasn't dropped. If it gets around 6 the bacteria stop working. You can speed the seeding of the new filter by dipping it in the bucket of water you have cleaned the already cycled media in. You can just pour some of the dirty water into you filter but it makes a mess of the tank. If your local store uses test strips instead of liquid testing kit they are often way off. The liquid test kit gives a better reading. You tank will get back to stable it just tanks some time. I would suggest getting some Seachem Prime water conditioner. It works better than anything I have tried and makes ammonia and nitrite less toxic for the fish. It also just takes 2 drops per gallon of water to treat so it lasts a long time.

Wow, i can't believe they "make" you wait to check your water parameters before buying some pet fish. Not to mention most of the meds are not avaliable in the UK.

Don't do water changes while your tank is cycling unless the fish are at the top of the tank gasping for air or are sitting at the bottom of the tank. Doing water changes before the tank is cycled is only delaying the cycling. If the fish are showing signs of distress then do a water change of about 10%. And keep checking the water with your test kit.

Ah, fish in cycling.

Keep up the tests ime, if using prime or API Ammo lock you can have screaming high ammonia (detoxified) and the fish will be fine; until they aren't and it's too late.

Don't do water changes while your tank is cycling unless the fish are at the top of the tank gasping for air or are sitting at the bottom of the tank. Doing water changes before the tank is cycled is only delaying the cycling. If the fish are showing signs of distress then do a water change of about 10%. And keep checking the water with your test kit.

Nope, decided I do disagree with that. If you are doing fish in cycling, your duty of care is to the fish - not to get the tank cycled in a certain time period. Larger water changes more often may be needed. (personal opinion, off soap box).

I would totally agree an expert is going to know where and when the boundaries can be pushed more.

Back
Top Bottom