Wolf Fish or Piranha?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PockX

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 40 gallon breeder that I'm going to be redoing once I move into my new place. AquaScape just got some more Red Wolf Fish in and also has a sale on red belly piranhas right now.. Could I do 3 RBP (is 3 the very max i could have) or just one Wolf? Which would be better? I would like something predator like and fun to watch in my living room. I would have 2 good filters going too and all that good stuff lol. I was just wondering what some of your thoughts are!

Im not an expert by no means with those fish.
But my friend has had a rbp in a 20long for 5 years now and it is beautiful lol. It is in perfect condition and healthy as a horse. I would say with good filtration and weekly water changes you MIGHT be able to get away with 3 rbp. They get semi big and very active.

Im not an expert by no means with those fish.
But my friend has had a rbp in a 20long for 5 years now and it is beautiful lol. It is in perfect condition and healthy as a horse. I would say with good filtration and weekly water changes you MIGHT be able to get away with 3 rbp. They get semi big and very active.

Yeah.. but I feel like if I had just one wolf fish, I feel like the tank is pretty empty lol. And the guys are only 1" right now so I would keep them in my 10 gallon till I move in June I think and that way I can get rid of my other fish too.

Are you going to upgrade from a 45 gallon? Idk about those fish, but I've seen videos, and stuff on tv, don't they get huge huge? If I'm correct you'll need 100 gallon +

Are you going to upgrade from a 45 gallon? Idk about those fish, but I've seen videos, and stuff on tv, don't they get huge huge? If I'm correct you'll need 100 gallon +

Wolf fish? It's a Red High Fin..which only get about 8-10". And I ordered the lil piranhas and a wolf because you need to have a minimum order of $40. So it cost me about $50.

Are red high fins different than the regular ones? I didn't know there was a variety but from a quick search they don't get as big as I thought. Sorry

Are red high fins different than the regular ones? I didn't know there was a variety but from a quick search they don't get as big as I thought. Sorry

Yeah..they are smaller and personally, I think, look alot better.

Yes, they actually are very pretty and cool. Congrats!

Thanks! I'll let you guys know how it goes and how they arrive. They're only 1" piranha so I have time before they get too big.

The rbp's are a no go considering they reach upwards of 10-12" in the first year. 3 would need a min of 75g for life.

Red wolf would be find.

I'd go with the wolf anyways, they are more active and just as aggressive when eating.

Rbp's are boring as sin until feeding time which is about the only time they are really active.

The rbp's are a no go considering they reach upwards of 10-12" in the first year. 3 would need a min of 75g for life.

Red wolf would be find.

I'd go with the wolf anyways, they are more active and just as aggressive when eating.

Rbp's are boring as sin until feeding time which is about the only time they are really active.

Yeah..but I needed to spend over $40 anyway so I purchased a few RBPs. I can always trade them in to my LFS once they get bigger..they sell them for over $20 there

Yeah..but I needed to spend over $40 anyway so I purchased a few RBPs. I can always trade them in to my LFS once they get bigger..they sell them for over $20 there

They may kill each other so get rid fast. RBP get big and are expensive to feed. I would plan on a larger tank for either fish

They may kill each other so get rid fast. RBP get big and are expensive to feed. I would plan on a larger tank for either fish

Both aren't going into the same tank. I will put the wolf probably in the 40 once he arrives and the RBPs in a 10 till they are bigger, then I will transfer them around..haha, idk yet..but I have tanks. Hopefully it'll all workout.

Both aren't going into the same tank. I will out the wolf probably in the 40 once he arrives and the RBPs in a 10 till they are bigger, then I will transfer them around..haha, idk yet..but I have tanks. Hopefully it'll all workout.

If you have tanks why use a 10 or 40..? Either way non the the tanks named are going to work for the rbp's long term. In a 10g it will be a matter of a month or two before there would be aggressiveness between them.

Anyways you got it figured out good luck with the tanks.

If you have tanks why use a 10 or 40..? Either way non the the tanks named are going to work for the rbp's long term. In a 10g it will be a matter of a month or two before there would be aggressiveness between them.

Anyways you got it figured out good luck with the tanks.

The 40 breeder well permanently home the RBP and the Wolf Fish will be in a 29 gallon..but going to try to get him a 30 breeder at least for it. The 10 is just my QT. But thanks for the info and support!

The 40 breeder well permanently home the RBP and the Wolf Fish will be in a 29 gallon..but going to try to get him a 30 breeder at least for it. The 10 is just my QT. But thanks for the info and support!

I turned away from rbp for my 45 cause they get too large and too aggressive towards one another. Strongly suggest you rehome them.

I turned away from rbp for my 45 cause they get too large and too aggressive towards one another. Strongly suggest you rehome them.

I will once they are..it's just where I live I NEVER see them and they were on sale.. They're super pricey here. I won't lose on them in the long run.

Sooooo..I didn't get any of them since it was $70 for shipping alone lol. Maybe a wolf fish will come around sometime.

Sooooo..I didn't get any of them since it was $70 for shipping alone lol. Maybe a wolf fish will come around sometime.

Blessing in disguise for the fish. I don't think a 40g is sufficient for the size any of those fish will grow to. Might want to rethink putting those big fish in such a small tank...hey somebody has to speak up for the fish...

I noticed that sale but piranah are illegal in Louisiana. Do they ship anywhere or do they exclude states with laws against?

Back
Top Bottom