Woo, got fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codefox

Aquarium Advice FINatic
10 Red Eye tetras are gonna look REALLY weird in a 55g with absolutely nothing else in it...but it'll be better than the 55g with nothing at all in it like I've had ;) I went to the LFS today and they sold me one of their filter pads out of their tanks so I could jump start my cycle (forget these frickin' shrimp)

I'm not thrilled with some of the stuff they've told me at this particular LFS though. She tried to get me to use a UG filter when she sold me the tank and she's trying to tell me that my 38W of lighting are enough for plants.

She said when she had her plant lights all she got were algea blooms...sounds like someone needs to work on their tank maintance :roll:

wahahaha...i wish she knew what she was talking about :x

well goodluck on the new fish and the filter pads will totally help you out with jump starting the cycle :D

Thanks and yeah, me too...after I use up my gift certificate I have there in my next visit I think it'll be my last

It's true that your tank will look kinda empty for a while with just the tetras, but it's good that you started out slowly with your stocking. The filter pads will be very helpful for your cycle, but it will not be instant. I'm sure you have a liquid reagent test kit by now. Keep a close eye on water perameters for the first few days. The last tank I set up this way had a small nitrite spike on the second day, but a 25% pwc took care of that and the tank cycled by the third day. Anyway, congratulations and be prepared to change some water if you need to. :mrgreen:

Well, I got my Python and test kit ready to go...I'll be testing daily :) And it's frustrating but I know the wait will be very worth it when I'm done. I'm very exciting about how this is going to turn out.

Good for you! :D The last time I did this, I waited for a week after the tank had cycled, and then added another small group of fish, and another week, and so on. This slow stocking worked very well for me, and I never even saw any other spikes. What else do you want to keep?

I'm not going to add anythign for another 2 weeks because I'm going out of town on weekend and since I only have time to go to the store on the weekend, well, 2 weeks it is!

My plan is also to have 4 rams, 6 cories (thinking maybe pandas if I can find them) and 4 angels. The tank will be heavily planted too, so gonna have a lot of plants :) (2 weeks is when I'll start adding the first plants)

Just a little update...fishies are doing great! No ammonia detected after 24 hours. I'll do another test tonight on the ammonia and do a nitrite test. If needed I'll do a water change, but I look to be in good shape :)

Thanks :) Yeah, I was trying to figure out what would work well with the Angels and went to visit my parents and saw a couple in her tank and though "Hey, I know what I need!" :)

Back
Top Bottom