Woo-hoo! I'm gonna get a betta for my desk at work!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
I would like to do the betta vase set-up. I have hear bad things about the lily plant being that the roots give off a chemical that is harmful to the fish. What other plants can I put into the vase and how do I set it up? I know to put some stones on the bottom...do I have to have the plant in there for a week, and then put the betta in? Also, I know there is some controversy about whether or not bettas require heat. The AC is on in my company, and it gets cold. Will I need to heat the water? How do I do this? I do not want to plug in anything, ie a heater. Let me know what you think! Any advice/opinions will be taken to heart. :D

Bettas are tropical fish and need to be kept in the low 70's. Bettas also really need at least 1 gallon to live in or they will die young and bored. That betta vase is horrible because the instructions say not to feed the fish as it will eat the plant roots (they only do this as they starve to death). They don't "need" a substrate but in a small container you have to change the water often. Also plants are great, either real or fake (silk of course). Java Fern would be the perfect real plant as it is low light and has nice big leaves. You can cheaply buy a small 1 gallon bowl or platic tank cheaply at walmart.

Java fern! Great, thanks! Also, I know all about the feeding of bettas, and how they say not to in the vase..that's horrible!! 1 gallon of water...do any vases hold that? If not I will go with a kit....one of the square ones...can a java fern go in that as well, or no?

Java fern will work great in any sort of setup. You can get a really decorative bowl that would look pretty for the desk. You can tie the java fern to a pretty rock or small piece of wood with a little thread and it will eventually grab hold.

The other thing is how much of the betta can you see in a vase? Something bigger is way better.

I agree that something bigger will be not only better for the betta but better for show as well. However, being that this is on my desk at work, I need to be cautious about the size so they don't complain. It's a privately owned company and the Owner's wife is VERY moody and picky, lol.

Betta's are very fun fish if you dont have much space to work with. They are pretty active and they aren't so difficult to, they are very hearty... Another thing I like about them is that there are like googleplex's of different colors and variations of them.

To heat the vase/tank you can just get a heat bulb to put in a lamp if its really cold in your office. I use the ones that don't give off light, just heat (i forget what they are called!) to heat up jars. They are great and keep the fishies nice and warm.

ashley

Ok, here is the latest update! After much research, I have decided to go with the betta vase. I won't be setting it up until next week, but I am VERY excited! I will let you know how it goes!!

I would suggest getting a 2 gallon tank setup from walmart, as opposed to the vase thing... the tank comes w/ a pump and UGF, as well as a plant which will keep the fish happy. Our bettas thrive in these 2gal tanks.

Good luck!

I don't want something that elaborate for my desk at work, but thank you. Maybe I will get that for my desk at home, lol

Back
Top Bottom