Wood for my 50L

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heinrich Lourens

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!

I have a 50L community tank with 2 kuhli loaches and I plan on adding some shrimp eventually.

I saw a really beautiful piece of wood at a nursary today and I want to put it in my tank. I asked the lady there what wood it is and she only knows that it is a hard type of wood. I'm no expert but I think it might be mopani wood.

If I buy it I will soak it for about a week and then boil it for a few hours. Will this be enough to get all the tannins and bacteria out of it? And how do you get it to sink properly? Do I have to treat the water I soak it in? Won't the chlorines and things in normal tap water go into the wood and then get into my tank somehow?
I also want to attach some floating grass they have at our LPS. (no idea what type...)

Just want some opinions and advice.

Thanks
Heinrich

being from the region your are im not sure but here i know we dont use willow trees or fruit trees and we soak and boil it in dechlorinated water.

being from the region your are im not sure but here i know we dont use willow trees or fruit trees and we soak and boil it in dechlorinated water.

Exactly what I do. When soaking you can always toss a power head into the container to help keep the water moving too.

Back
Top Bottom