Wood from outside?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danny835

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I just got some new juvenile red belly piranhas (around 2 inches) and i wanted to add some more hiding spots for them in the tank.

I have a huge forest right behind my backyard and I was wondering if it's safe to use a branch or wood piece that would look nice in the tank.

I know I'd have to boil it to get any dirt/unwanted bacteria and such off the wood but is it recommended to do this? Or should I stick to store bought decorations?

I think it sounds do able. . Few things to consider. . You want hard wood.. no pine or spruce.. you'll want to research the species of wood tomake sure it's not hazardous to your fish.. you'll want to sterilize with a boil than bake in the oven to cure.. good luck:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's best to pick up well weathered wood that came out of the water. Generally, anything you find on land will be very rotted and unusable in an aquarium.

When you pick up a piece do the thumb test - Press your thumbnail into it. If it sinks in then it's no good.

I have used some that I found laying on the ground before and so far nothing bad happened

i too would suggest going to a lake or beach and search the shore for good weathered pieces of wood. it takes time but well worth it.

I have found my best drift wood along creeks and streams after they flood in the springtime-That would be now!

Mebbid - ocean driftwood ok after a good boil?

I grabbed some rocks too, why would you say no? Long term salt infusion?

If it has a pleasing smell, leave it on the ground. For waterlogged pieces, do the scratch and sniff test.

My smaller pieces I always boil for what seems likes days (its really only about six hours lol).

My larger pieces I haven't found a really good way to do it just yet. My first piece I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed on in the hottest water I could stand (until no more particles were coming off and then some), rinsed, and set in my tank. Here's the issue.. Every time I do this, my tank starts cycling again.. If any one has any advice that would be great!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also make sure you have a way to weight it down, unless it is sunk when you find it, (and even than dont let it dry out) the pieces will float.

Back
Top Bottom