Wood not sinking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punchy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have 2 pieces of wood that won't sink so I am looking for some suggestions. I'm not sure what type of wood they are but i've had both submerged in water for over a week and I boiled both pieces for about 5 hours last night but they're still as buoyant as they were before.
I've only ever had gold vine in the past which sank after a few days. Any ideas what sort of wood they might be and more importantly does anyone have any tricks to get them waterlogged to sink quicker?
I really don't want to tie them down to a rock etc unless i really have to.
Thanks

thumbnail_Image (1).jpg

thumbnail_Image.jpg

Different kinds of woods take different amounts of time to sink. I have what looks like yours in a tank (im not sure what type it is either) and it took several months. 3 or 4 months from recollection.

It will absorb water and get rid of air quicker if you weigh it down rather than just leave it floating. I just weigh wood with a bag of sand until it stays sunk on its own. Weigh it with whatever you are happy with looking at. Or get a big piece of slate and screw it to the underside of the wood if you want a solution you dont have to look at.

I had the same thing with one of mine. Boiled and soaked it for close to 2 weeks and although it was better, it was still buoyant.

I just weighted it down with some old plant weights and a bit of substrate. Took at least another month submerged in the tank before it would stay on the bottom by itself, though still a bit buoyant. Got to be all of 4 months now and if I pick it up to clean under it, it will drop to the bottom as fast as a waterlogged piece of wood can be expected to

I’ve never been able to get driftwood to sink regardless of what I did to the wood. I’ve thought about attaching a heavy piece of slate to the base but then there’s the problem with how to attach the wood to the slate? Perhaps siliconing the wood to the slate ? I wonder if a stainless lag screw through the slate into the wood, they use stainless hardware for bone repair but how does soaking it in an aquarium play into it? Many questions but in the end, I just opted for a plastic ornament and called it a day. Let us know what you come up with…..

Back
Top Bottom