Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2006, 11:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Rxblade123
Worm like things?

I was feeding my fish in my planted 10 gallon when I saw some tiny worm like things on the glass. At first I thought it was just some debris or something, but when I looked closer I saw it moving. I have no idea what it is. I tried taking a picture of it, but it so small. It's kind of clearish looking, but can't really tell since it's so tiny. They are extremely thin and not very long maybe 3mm at most. Can anybody guess what these are? Newest addition is an oto. Have done nothing with tank except dose Macro and Micro. Do you think they are harmful?

Old 02-28-2006, 12:53 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Not harmful at all, just a sign that you are overfeeding/underfiltering your tank, and not doing sufficient gravel vaccumings. They are likely planaria that come into your tank as micrscopic particles attached to your fish. In a clean tank, they die. In a tank with extra nutrients, the proliferate. Clean your tank more often, and they will go away.

BTW, you said they were clear? Are they worms, or look like jelly like anemones?

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Rxblade123
They look more like woms. And the seem to slide around on the glass. Not sure if that helps or not. Btw if my fish eat them, will it cause any problems? I can't really do gravel vacumming or I risk pulling up some of the plants. The well rooted plants I have no problem with, but microsword is a different story. It starting to root, but not very much. I prune a lot of it due to BBA : \.
Thanks for the information btw. I'll do some more water changes and feed less.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:15 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
They won't harm your fish if they eat them. I'd say vaccum as well as you can, but don't risk losing your plants.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
worm

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com