worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishbert

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I found a small white worm in a dish of eggs collected from a tank of zebrafish. Yes that sounds strange. I work in a lab, and I was using a microscope. The worm was about the size of an egg (> 1mm). I'm worried that the fish are infected- any idea what kind of treatment is best? These are important fish, in case that affects any advice you may have (conservative vs. aggressive) . Any other symptoms I should look for? Thanks.

fishbert...

You don't say if whether the tank has a substrate or if it is a bare-bottom research tank. Upon microscopic examination of the worms...were they round or flattened in cross-section? If they're round then you're PROBABLY dealing with a nematode of one type or another. Most nematodes found in aquaria are free-living and are not a threat to your fish. If the worm was flat in cross section then you may be looking at some sort of planarian, though the size (I'm assuming you meant <1mm instead of >1mm) would mitigate against a planarian because they're usually bigger than that.

Can you give us any more details regarding the environment and the physical appearance of the worm itself?

The worm seemed to be more flat than round. At low magnification, it seemed almost featureless- more clear than white. You're right, I meant <1 mm, but I didn't measure it- it might have been 1-2 mm. The tanks are bare-bottom research tanks, no substrate. They are part of a re-circulating system with about 50 tanks interconnected. All water flows past UV bulbs, and through carbon and particle filters. The fact that I found it among the eggs made me think it may have come from inside a female fish. What size would you expect for a parasitic worm? Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom