Worms in my tank!! Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristen880

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay so I turned on my filter earlier today and I noticed a few worm looking things just start to wiggle and thrash about. I have no idea what they are, I've had this tank for over a year and never seen anything like that in it before.. Nothing attached to my fish, no sores or ulcers or anything like that. They're easily visible.
I've been searching the Internet for about an hour and have gotten nowhere.
THEY ARE NOT PLANARIA. I don't think they are detritus either.
This is the best picture I can get right now.. Looks to have maybe a fork/split on one end..
Does not move like a snake slithering, just like random thrashing. Please if anyone knows what it is, if it is harmful, and how to get rid of it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 110
Do these things work their way up to the surface or do they stay at the bottom? Reason I ask is that the forked tail on one end resembles mosquito larvae. Plus your description of their movement. Kind of a random zig zag burst? Not a bad thing as fish usually eat them. But if they mature then they may emerge from the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Never seen this before in a tank. I'm also wondering if your fish are eating them and if they are mosquito larvae (which BTW it looks like it)... free live food!
If not, maybe you can try patiently to siphon them out?

It looks like Hydra. If at the end are tentacles.
Hydra is not harmful, but looks at the disc from bad.
They say: Who Hydra, is feeding well with live foods.
Gouramis eat Hydra.

Do these things work their way up to the surface or do they stay at the bottom? Reason I ask is that the forked tail on one end resembles mosquito larvae. Plus your description of their movement. Kind of a random zig zag burst? Not a bad thing as fish usually eat them. But if they mature then they may emerge from the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
I think they may be mosquito larva. Now they are more rounded at the top, looks like pupae now. My betta has been eating them when they appear. I don't think it's harmful? They go to the surface but only for a few seconds before sinking

Back
Top Bottom