Worms in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brick

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey--

I am still new to aquariums, so pardon my ignorance.

I have three tanks, two of which are giving me problems at the moment. I have two 5 gal tanks, one which developed small tiny parasites that looked more like pieces of lint than anything else. They are barely visible (though they might be nematodes, I am not sure). The first 5 gal housed one female beta and three snails- since the parasite killer tabs were not safe for the snails, I removed and attempted to wash off the snails and transferred them to the second 5gal. Now the second 5 gal is also infected and I am SURE it did not have them before.

How can I make sure that the snails are clean so that they do not keep bringing the parasites with them, since all 5 snails are now in the parasite infested tanks? I know that these tiny parasites are probably more of a nuisance than a danger, but I want them gone.

Also, is there any special care I should be applying to the live plants/decor/filters and the like to ensure that I will not have them again?

Thanks!

The parasites arise when you overfeed your fish, and food is left to rot. I had the same problem with my 5, all I did was do a 50% water change and then the next day 25%, and it cleared the problem right up. Oh, and make sure you use a gravel vac.

You say the parasites hicthhiked with the snails? I'm sorry, I should've read the all of it before jumping to conclusions, I apologize.

Yeah, the second infestation hitchhiked with the snails... I bet the first infestation was probably due to the feeding thing; the snail food is not always finished and the setup of the tank makes it hard to remove.

I'll be more mindful in the future, but for right now how can I make sure that the snails are clean before I put them in the reset tanks (once I reset them, I havent done anything more until I get some advice ;) )? Honestly right now it looks like the snails are enjoying themselves and eating the parasites right off the tank wall,... Can the infestation move internally? Is it a lost cause?? hahah....

Also I dont have a gravel vac, but since the tanks are small I clean them VERY well and rinse the crap out of the gravel in the shower until they are completely clean.

To be honest, there's your problem... you shouldn't ever completely wash the gravel or change the filter media. Whenever you rinse the gravel like that, you're destroying your colonies of beneficial bacteria that keep your tank cycled. That's why you should do partial water changes, instead, cleaning the gravel with a small vac.

Yeah? I know that the cycling/etc takes a while to normalize in a tank, and the 10 gal seems to have worked itself out... but the 5gals get really dirty fast, or get algae on the sides, and it seemed silly to spend that much on a gravel cleaner for something that I could just clean out by hand.

I have JUST finished grad school and am awaiting sitting for the PT boards... so I have no money cause I can't work yet. I would have to wait at least a month or two for a paycheck to get a vac. What can I do in the meantime? Does any particular brand of gravel vac do a really good job?

Also, I still dont know what to do to clean the snails off so there isnt a second infestation

Yeah? I know that the cycling/etc takes a while to normalize in a tank, and the 10 gal seems to have worked itself out... but the 5gals get really dirty fast, or get algae on the sides, and it seemed silly to spend that much on a gravel cleaner for something that I could just clean out by hand.

I have JUST finished grad school and am awaiting sitting for the PT boards... so I have no money cause I can't work yet. I would have to wait at least a month or two for a paycheck to get a vac. What can I do in the meantime? Does any particular brand of gravel vac do a really good job?

A gravel vac is just a manual siphon, any brand will do, just get a small one. Shouldn't be more than $3-5.

Back
Top Bottom