Worried about my cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boogety48

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a little cory catfish that got into a fight with my angelfish. His little whiskers got bit off but he seems to be doing ok. He's eating but he has just a hole for a mouth, no little cat face. Will they grow back or is he forever like this? The angels were removed from the tank. They've all been together for months now but I noticed a week ago that the angels were getting a little aggressive and I think killed my otocinclus the same night they attacked the cory. If anyone knows if his mouth will heal all the way, please let me know. I've posted pictures. Its the albino cory that is missing his whiskers. :fish2:

Attachments

• PC270493.jpg
    PC270493.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 139
  • PC260486.jpg
    PC260486.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 130
I'm so sorry to hear about your little albino Cory cat. :-( but I do believe they will grow back make sure you keep the water clean and do regular pwc's. It will probably take about a month or so for them to grow back. Good luck with the little guy! Btw do you have him in a group of his own kind? they really like to be in groups of 4 or more.

Poor little fella. Is he still eating ok? He should heal with clean water. It might be a good idea to double the amount if water changes you normally do to try keep his water as clean as possible.
What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH? What size tank and what tank mates (kind and number)?

I've got two peppered corys and one green one. There's also shrimp and snails(3) and three tetras. I do pwc once a week and just did a full water change a few days ago. Last check I did everything was ok. ph is 7ish, everything else seems to be right on. He doesn't seem to be stressed. He's playing with the other corys and was posing for those pics. He's the only one that comes to the front if you hold up a camera to the tank.

My Cories came from the store with almost no whiskers and they grew out good and long when I got them in a good healthy tank so as long as he avoids infection I would expect them to grow back.

If you ever wish to see ecstatic Cories, take out some (or all) gravel and give them some fine Smooth sand. They love to bury their faces in the sand :)

Mine are on Tahitian Moon Sand, it looks rough, but it's very lightweight and my C. habrosus love it !! But you can't gravel vac it easily. But I have lots of live plants so never vacuum my tanks.

If you ever wish to see ecstatic Cories, take out some (or all) gravel and give them some fine Smooth sand. They love to bury their faces in the sand :)

Mine are on Tahitian Moon Sand, it looks rough, but it's very lightweight and my C. habrosus love it !! But you can't gravel vac it easily. But I have lots of live plants so never vacuum my tanks.

I thought about using sand instead of gravel but the hubby liked the gravel look. I might add a little just for my corys.

He's starting to get that white fuzzy stuff on the top of his mouth so I'm getting worried. It wasn't there this morning and I went out and came back and he has it now. I'm keeping a close eye on him but any suggestion on what to do? :confused:

I do have a little tank I can use to QT him. I should have done that to begin with I guess but he's been ok up until today. He's not acting any different just has a little spot of fuzz.

Boogety48 said:
I do have a little tank I can use to QT him. I should have done that to begin with I guess but he's been ok up until today. He's not acting any different just has a little spot of fuzz.

Keep an eye on him. Sometimes clean water is all that is needed to fight it off. If it gets worse I would move him over and possibly start some form of treatment. Even a small dose of salt (even though cories are sensitive) might help.

They won't die. Maybe if you horrifically over dose the tank.
"They can tolerate only a small amount of salt (some species tolerate none at all)" - Wikipedia Corydoras - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also I have never used salt in any of my freshwater tanks over the past 10 years. I was told by my LFS aquarium salt for frehwater fish is snakeoil unless it is a brackish tank.

Yes I have heard some people use salt but be careful if you have invertabrates, aquatic frogs, snails or scaleless fish.

I didn't add any salt but kept a close watch on him. He died sometime in the night last night. I found him this morning laying upside down in the plants. Poor little guy.

FreshwaterFishJunkie said:
"They can tolerate only a small amount of salt (some species tolerate none at all)" - Wikipedia Corydoras - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also I have never used salt in any of my freshwater tanks over the past 10 years. I was told by my LFS aquarium salt for frehwater fish is snakeoil unless it is a brackish tank.

Yes I have heard some people use salt but be careful if you have invertabrates, aquatic frogs, snails or scaleless fish.

Yes we are talking about a small dose. I wouldn't recommend salt to any FW tank unless for a treatment. Cories are sensitive to salt, I never denied that. I wouldn't call it a snake oil but an effective, more natural treatment to be used in some cases instead of medication. Brackish tanks don't require the same salt. They use marine salt.

Thanks all. He was doing really well and I qt him last night in a smaller tank. It looked like the fuzz was going away but when I got up he was dead.

Sorry to hear that he died. Was there anything to suggest he was diseased after you had a chance to look at him when you removed him frm the tank? If yes please do elaborate. Well hope he enjoys the big Aquarium in the sky. So how are the other fish today? Also can you give us some water parameter readings; ammonia levels, nitrite levels, and nitrate levels? This will help us in determing if some other corrective course of action should be done to keep the other fish thriving.

Back
Top Bottom