worst fish experience ever :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyfishyfishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i just went through the process of moving my tank from one side of the room to the other... and i'm scarred for life :(

I thought i did everything right... went out and bought a 10 gallon bucket to empty some of the water into, and to hold the fish in during the move.

I had caught about half the fish and was trying to catch the rest when I spotted a fish on the carpet out of the corner of my eye! I flipped out and screamed until my boyfriend came to get it for me (yeah, i'm a big baby). Turns out that rainbow fish are pretty good jumpers. We put the lid on the bucket after that...

After moving the tank I slid the 10 gallon bucket away from the wall, only to find another rainbow fish that had jumped out and was between the bucket and wall, dead. I'm still keeping an eye on the first jumper...

I'll never move my tank again as long as I live.... :cry: :cry:

Ouch, a lost a firefish years back because I didn't realize they were jumpers. We found him behind the tank, it was my sons first fish, he was not happy. Sorry to hear about that. :cry:

aww. Sorry to hear that. I had a fish that would jump every time I did a water change. he jumped into the sink, onto the stove and fell down under the burner. None of those things killed him. What killed him is when he jumped out on to the floor, and I stepped on him, barefoot. EEEW.

When i was getting a sunset.. something fish.. the guy dropped the fish and it didnt survive the fall.. I was crying for two days.. Then i discovered one of my fishies was missing a fin and i actually havent been going to school to watch over him . I really hope your fish gets okay and dont feel too bad.. Guilt can eat you right up ... Sides fishys in a better fishy heaven.... No i am not retarded..

That sucks, sorry for your loss. :( I just moved a 35 gallon tank last week so I know what a pain in the a** it is! I got a free desk from work (we're getting new office furniture there) so I brought it home to move the tank onto, because I hated the metal stand it was set up on. Well, it turns out the desk wasn't going to hold the tank (we found this out with the tank drained and the fish in a bucket), so we ended up rearranging the entire bedroom so we could put the tank on the dresser. :roll: I'm really not looking forward to the time when we actually move out of town, as there are 4 tanks that will be coming with us. :lol:

I remember our first move (when we only had two tanks). All the community fish were in a bucket up in a closet shelf due to the sneaky cats. Well I found a few dried tetras later on :x I have also had a Molly jump from a tank--the lid was on and she found the hole for the HOB.

On the subject of jumping, does anyone knows if they(the fish) learn from this? My halfmoon betta(White Cloud) jump out of his jar while I was feeding the tank behind him. I paniced and moved everything below and found him...still alive. I lowered the water level to prevent him from jumping out again. All my bettas jump for food at feeding times but never really jump out until that one. He's my most expensive betta too and I'd hope he learnt his lesson.

No they do not learn. The fish I had that jumped, kept jumping until it was the death of him. I should have been more careful

I've lost 1 Cochu Blue (anyone know where the quick link is to edit a sig?) that jumped into a skimmer and got slurped into a fluval, I also had another that got a little to excited at feeding time and jumped right out of the tank (cleared about 2 feet away from the tank) I grabbed him and put it back in the tank, it's been fine since (over a week ago) and he looked rather well carpeted, but I totally wasn't expecting it, luckily he hit my arm or I wouldn't have thought about it, my Congos hit the surface of the water pretty hard (they have trout complex I think) so it seems normal..

It happens, don't let it get you down..

I have a crab that climbed out of the tank through the filter hole and I found him dried up, but still alive in the next room. He floated in the tank a little while until he filled up with water and dropped to the bottom. I never closed the filter opening and he climbs up there all the time to get out of the water. He has never left the tank since that incident. Is it possible he learned his lesson? Or is it just instinct since he found no food outside of the tank?

Back
Top Bottom