Would any of these be ok in a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I goggled all these. Three of them are composites of different metals. Aluminum, copper, iron, etc. They would not be safe for fish. The ones composed of non metallic crystals should be ok. OS.

Aquamarine shod be fine but may raise your kh.
Peacock ore most likely contains metal (ores are a no in aquariums)
"Natural rock crystal points druzy type titanium and mystic coated" these most likely contain metal properties as well. You'd have to know the exact type of each crystal to be sure
As for the Baltic stones, I'm not sure what type of stone it is, so I can't say either way, but if I go pick up rocks out of my lake they are most likely sandstone or Lyme stone (both of which affect kh and ph significantly.)
As for the kyanite, I've heard it's not okay and that it is okay. I know it's got aluminum properties, but have been told it doesn't leach into the water. Personally I wouldn't risk it.

My other advice is if you're going to put crystals and so forth in your aquarium be sure you get them from a very reputable source. Quarts is fine in an aquarium, and I have a few. However, I once bought a piece and apparently they had used varnish on it, instead of polishing it as they said. My water parameters didn't change, but all my fish died about a month later and when cleaning it all out and trying to figure out what the heck happened. I realized (when I felt hard bubbles on the quarts) that it had been varnished.
Also, if you put quarts or any other similar stones in your aquarium for very long, they will not come out of the aquarium the same. Algae and various other waste will get into the tiny cracks and crevices of the rock and not all of it can be scrubbed out.

There are a lot of beautiful stones you can put in (natural, untreated, no dye of course)
ruby, garnet, sapphire, peridot, opal, pearl, topaz, amethyst, all quarts (rose, ect), agate (many varieties available)
Do not use actual marble!

"Honey where'd my grandmothers rubies, lighting ridge opals, sapphire and topaz gems go?"
".......the aquarium...."
"YOU WHAT"
Now that's a conversation I'd love to over hear!

The types of stones would most likely be okay (as long as they are truly natural). However, I wouldn't do the teardrop beads because of sharp edges that may cut or injure a fish if the scraped against it darting through the water or skimming the bottom. Generally I roll the stone around in my hand, or run my hand over larger pieces to check for jagged or sharp edges.

"Honey where'd my grandmothers rubies, lighting ridge opals, sapphire and topaz gems go?"
".......the aquarium...."
"YOU WHAT"
Now that's a conversation I'd love to over hear!

lol, I'd recommend you buy "rough" unpolished versions of the stone that are not of fine jewelry quality. Unless of course you have more money than you know what to do with.

Try looking for "tumble stones" even if they haven't been put through a rock tumbler and polished it's fine because when people buy these types of stones to make jewelry out of them they spray them with water to see what it will look like after they are polished, but you're going to submerge them in water, so you'll see their beauty.

Back
Top Bottom