Would fry get sucked into filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have a platy fry in a 1 gallon carbon filtered tank (Aqueon QuietFlow 1) but anyway he's not getting sucked in he's been in there for about 14 hours. Someone told me I need under gravel filters or the fry will get sucked up. Is that true?

No, you don't need an undergravel filter (which aren't highly recommended for any tank). You may want to consider having a prefilter sponge on the filter intake. I have that in my red cherry shrimp tank so shrimplets don't get sucked up. I do not have it in my 46 gallon community, which houses many livebearers as the fish do not swim at the level of the filter intake. When I kept kribs, my krib fry would eat micronutrients off of the filter intake (no sponge) and then swim away.

I have an aquaeon 5 that I have for my guppy fry. I assume the filters are the same. Although they normally don't swim near the filter, I put pantyhose (or those nylon sock things they give you at show stores to try on things) over the intake and wrap it around with a hair tie or rubber band. It works well- the water still flows through and the sheerness of the nylon is tiny enough to prevent the fry from getting sucked up just in case :)

LyndaB said:
No, you don't need an undergravel filter (which aren't highly recommended for any tank). You may want to consider having a prefilter sponge on the filter intake. I have that in my red cherry shrimp tank so shrimplets don't get sucked up. I do not have it in my 46 gallon community, which houses many livebearers as the fish do not swim at the level of the filter intake. When I kept kribs, my krib fry would eat micronutrients off of the filter intake (no sponge) and then swim away.

Not to sound stupid but what exactly is a predicted sponge? Is that to keep the water at a weaker cycling level

A prefilter sponge is just a piece of sponge (or other similar material) that goes over the intake tube in the tank to keep from sucking fry up. You can buy them premade at some pet stores or you can make them yourself.

jetajockey said:
A prefilter sponge is just a piece of sponge (or other similar material) that goes over the intake tube in the tank to keep from sucking fry up. You can buy them premade at some pet stores or you can make them yourself.

Thanks. I don't find much use for them as my fry don't seem bothered and even swim inside the rod then out occasionally

I recomend that you get or make a prefilter. it's very insulting when you clean your filter and discover dead fry inside it.

Back
Top Bottom