Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2016, 08:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Would Like to Verify - 2 Male Angels?

In the first photo I'm certain he's a male. The second, though the pic is a tad distorted from the bowfront, may be male. Just wanting an experts opinion. I probably should page Andy.
I've had these guys(?) since September 2015.

anachrotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've heard that angels can be impossible to sex unless they spawn. I really don't know though, there are probably some tips and tricks out there

(GBR pair, 3 amano shrimp and a whole bunch of snails!)
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:50 PM   #3
Macro Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

wow those are some pretty looking Angeles
Old 02-06-2016, 09:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
wow those are some pretty looking Angeles
Thank you. They've grown pretty fast. They were the size of a quarter when I brought them home and now I estimate their body to be 3 times that. The guy (?) in the second pic is slight smaller.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:48 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, I got my answer today. After originally posting, I noticed this one becoming rather portly and saw the large tube, as well as pecking away at the filter intake, along with the other guy. (Just fed-hence the bloodworms in the pic)
Old 02-10-2016, 09:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm not sure how accurate this is but I've heard that the females have a smoother head and the male have a bump on their heads. I'm not sure if that's true but that's what I've always been told…

Keep calm and rock on
Old 02-10-2016, 11:36 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

The only sure way to tell is to see the breeding tubes. The female has a blunt tube, that is typically larger in diameter than the male's pointed tube. It is possible for two females to lay eggs like a pair, although, clearly, the eggs won't hatch.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

And eggs were laid. Both being attentive and there doesn't seem to be any aggression (which was my biggest worry). I'll see how this goes. I'm sure they'll end up as some added protein in the fish's diet.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

It sounds like you already know what they are but I will say, based on the older methods of sexing Angels, that the second fish should be the female and the top pic the male. Had they not exposed their tubes however, I would also say that unfortunately, today's Angels sometimes show characteristics of the opposite gender so until you see the tubes, there are no guarantees.

Also, new pairs don't always produce good spawns for a few times. So for now, I wouldn't be eager to save this spawn as spawns usually on filter tubes don't get fertilized as well as ones laid in a tank with a sponge or inside filter. So if the goal is to eventually start saving the spawns, I'd strongly suggest keeping the fish in a tank by themselves and changing the HOB filter into an air driven sponge filter. That will increase your success percentage greatly.

Just an FYI: I also had a new pair of Angels form the other day. It was the female's 2nd spawn and the male's first. I only got 6 eggs to live and only 3 of those hatched. So as I said, first spawns don't always yield success so don't get bummed if this one doesn't work out. Angels, when kept properly, give you plenty of chances to figure it all out.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:26 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
It sounds like you already know what they are but I will say, based on the older methods of sexing Angels, that the second fish should be the female and the top pic the male. Had they not exposed their tubes however, I would also say that unfortunately, today's Angels sometimes show characteristics of the opposite gender so until you see the tubes, there are no guarantees.

Also, new pairs don't always produce good spawns for a few times. So for now, I wouldn't be eager to save this spawn as spawns usually on filter tubes don't get fertilized as well as ones laid in a tank with a sponge or inside filter. So if the goal is to eventually start saving the spawns, I'd strongly suggest keeping the fish in a tank by themselves and changing the HOB filter into an air driven sponge filter. That will increase your success percentage greatly.

Just an FYI: I also had a new pair of Angels form the other day. It was the female's 2nd spawn and the male's first. I only got 6 eggs to live and only 3 of those hatched. So as I said, first spawns don't always yield success so don't get bummed if this one doesn't work out. Angels, when kept properly, give you plenty of chances to figure it all out.
Thank you, Andy.
I'm not anticipating much atm. When I purchased, I wanted two males as I have no other tanks and didn't want aggression issues. Maybe down the road I'll consider saving the spawns but for now, as long as there's no fighting, I'm happy with that.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great. Good luck.

For those looking for males only, I do suggest using the old signs of sexual identification ( Size, Head hump, angle of the anal fin) as the chances of getting it right are still there. It's just that these no longer "guarantee" a male.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:55 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
The only sure way to tell is to see the breeding tubes. The female has a blunt tube, that is typically larger in diameter than the male's pointed tube. It is possible for two females to lay eggs like a pair, although, clearly, the eggs won't hatch.
I have 2 females in a tank and they both spawn. Then protect the unfertilized eggs like a breeding pair. They switch off which one is gonna lay eggs, lol
Old 01-15-2021, 03:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainer_Ruby_ View Post
I'm not sure how accurate this is but I've heard that the females have a smoother head and the male have a bump on their heads. I'm not sure if that's true but that's what I've always been told…

Keep calm and rock on
Your right. The males will develop a small nuchal hump. It's more pronounced during breeding.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:58 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachrotech View Post
Thank you, Andy.
I'm not anticipating much atm. When I purchased, I wanted two males as I have no other tanks and didn't want aggression issues. Maybe down the road I'll consider saving the spawns but for now, as long as there's no fighting, I'm happy with that.
The males will fight with each other pretty much constantly. The females are calmer, just fyi
Old 01-16-2021, 07:45 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebankston View Post
The males will fight with each other pretty much constantly. The females are calmer, just fyi
Oh, not in my house. My female bit the cornea off of the male's one eye and damaged the other eye. I make sure he gets enough to eat as he is almost totally blind. They don't interact anymore. When I first got them and they grew to size, there were attempts at breeding. I don't think the male performed to the female's expectations

Tags
angel, angels, male

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com