Would they be friends?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Megalofyia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would a beta get along with glass catfish? And would the beta be alright in slightly salty water. Not brackish water.

Well, they would probably get along, but I was just trying to decide if I wanted to give my betta a little catfish buddy. I was thinking of a albino cory catfish. Maybe a glass catfish is different. But I decided not to for the following reasons: Catfish need to be in schools of 6 or more, or they aren't very happy. They like water temps of 72-76 degrees, and my betta tank is 82 degrees. The substrate should be sand, so the catfish's barbells are not damaged. My tank is gravel.

I put some freshwater salt in my betta tank. I use 1/4 teaspoon per gallon when I'm making up my tap water.

glass catfish aren't bottom feeders. They are mid to top level feeders. This would change the substrate issue. But I also like black sand so that's what I have. Btw glass catfish are also active during the day unlike other catfish. These qualities made me more interested in them, plus they look really cool.

That's good to know that the beta is ok with the freshwater salt. That was what I was really worried about.

I didn't know that glass catfish aren't bottom feeders! :oops:

I've seen 2 brands of freshwater salt -- Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (Doc Wellfish) and Jungle. I use the Jungle brand, because the container has a top that you can put your measuring spoon in and level out. It also snaps shut tightly. The Aquarium Pharm. brand is in a little milk carton-type container, and the ones I see are always squished!

Jungle is the same brand I use for the glass cats.

Here's why I want to know about the beta. I have recently set up the glass cat tank. It is a ten gallon tank with the 3 glass cats. I also have a 2.5 gallon tank with the beta. I thought I could add color to the ten gallon and reduce the number of tanks in use by adding the beta to the ten gallon. Now the other thing is I really like bumble bee gobies, but if it would really only be feasible for me to add 1 to the tank then I don't know that I want to do that cause they are so small.

I don't think the bumble bee gobie and a betta would get along at all. I don't have any first hand experience though. And as far as the temperature goes, whatever temp your cats are in should be fine for the betta. They are always at 'room temp' in bowls, etc, and I had one in my coldwater tank (29 gal unheated) for as long as I could stand him (gave him away, he was too aggressive).

Back
Top Bottom