Would this be good stocking for a 29 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmills1997

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have 3 platies, 1 guppy, 1 betta, 6 glowlight tetras, 3 panda corydoras, and 2 mystery snails. I plan on adding 10 cherry shrimp, 2 ottos, a bamboo shrimp or thai micro crab, and 3 African Dwarf Frogs. How well do you think these will all get along and would this overstock the tank?

You should get a few more cory cats, they should be in groups of at least 5. Also, the betta may bother the guppy, but maybe you will get lucky. As for everything else you should be alright. The crabs have a tendency to escape the tank. Any tubes, cords, or plants that can be a escape route will be used.

Alright thank you! I planned on getting 5 panda cory cats when I got them but I only had enough money for 3 at that time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think your cherry shrimp and tai micro crab will get eaten by the platies and beta. If not the adults, definitely any babies they have will. I don't know much about the micro crabs, but it seems like a single tiny crab would get lost (visually) in a 29 gallon tank.
Maybe you could start a smaller 5-10 gal tank for the crabs and dwarf shrimp?
I agree that adding 3 or so more corys would also be a good idea. And I do not think your tank will be overstocked :)

My LFS has a fluval edge with a betta and cherry shrimp, and there is more shrimp every time I go in there. Betta can be very docile, or go after anything that moves.

My betta is pretty docile, it was a little timid with the platies at first but other than that he's been good

never had a beta but platies will eat them but if you have enough places for them to hide you should be able to keep them but if they catch one the will tear it apart and eat it

My tank has lots of hiding places and I've seen a lot of fry hiding in my plants so I think that if fry can go about without them all being eaten then I think the shrimp will also be able to hide

Ok you can try it if you want. Just speaking from my personal experience.

You will probably have to add shimp from time to time to replace the ones that get picked off and natural death because like a previous poster said very few if and baby shimp will survive

Is there anything I can do to increase the survival rate besides what I already have done?

Yep that's true. Thanks for the advice and I will post on here again when I get them to tell everyone how it goes.

Hey all I just added my shrimp and my fish didn't attack them! The shrimp would freak out when they got near one of my fish but the fish didn't do anything to them. :) Now they've all been finding cool hiding places. Well, except for one xD he is just swimming to the top of the tank and freaking out when he sees the fish (who chill at the top of the tank)

Back
Top Bottom