Would this be overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follicle

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, so I think I've determined everything I would like to get for restocking my 55 gallon. Here's what I have so far:

3 Serpae Tetras
2 Rosy Barbs
1 Black Ghost Knife
1 Pleco

I have plans to upgrade the tank to a 120 gallon when the black ghost knife gets larger, but I'd like to get the 55 fully stocked for now. Would adding these fish overstock the tank?

2 Angelfish
2 Catfish (Unsure of what kind. Preferably smaller.)
1 African Butterfly Fish (Possibly. If and when I find one.)

Do you think this would be too much for a 55, and if so, what could I cut out?

Thanks!

I would not add just two angel fish I would add one or 4 and maybe nix the butterfly fish. Reason being is that angels do get territorial. However I dont know if having 1 male and 1 female is okay. I just have an angel fish and love it. Dont really care what sex it is. The catfish it really depends on what size they will eventually be. Plus having catfish means your BGK and possibly pleco will be stressed as whatver hiding places they have found the catfish will more than likely take over. So like you say the smaller the better. The african butterfly fish are cool but I dont know much about them.

What type of pleco do you have? Common plecos get huge, a clown gets about 3.5 inches so knowing what type you have would make a big difference. I have bristlenose and clown plecos, they get along fine with my cory catfish. If you go with 2 angels make sure they are a pair or they will fight.

I have never had good luck with catfish, but despite my failures I was told that 1 inch of fish per gallon of water. With that being said, some fish like to hide or they get stressed. Make sure each of your fish have a place to hide and get away from all the hubbub of the other fish. And for god sake stay away from the pleco's. Plecos get big fast and there is no where to take them but your lfs, and they rarely take them. I lived in TX and plecos, coy, and tilapia run wild in the rivers there and they are not native and destroy the habitat of the natural fish.

Not all plecos get big.
I collect plecos and my biggest will get to about 8" full grown.
Most Bristlenose plecos get to about 4" to 5".
My L163 Big Spot for example will get to about 4-1/2"
It all depends on what species.

Thanks for all the replies.

Well, I'm fairly certain that it's a Common Pleco. The reason that I'm uncertain is because I inherited this tank from my father, and he had the Pleco in there for a few years. Back when it was at my parents' house, I wasn't interested enough to care what was inside the tank. Looks like I might have a problem on my hands if it begins to get bigger. Right now, it's around 4 inches or so.

After some more thought, maybe I'll go with three or four Angel Fish and one of something else (what, I don't know). I forgot about catfish being bottom dwellers, and I think having the Ghost Knife and the Pleco hiding down there is enough already.

I get a rainbow shark, but I'm afraid they would be too aggressive toward the tetras and barbs. Ah, decisions, decisions.

If it has been a few years and it is only 4" it may not be a common.
If you post a picture at Plecofanatics.com the fine folks there may be able to ID it for you.

Good point. I think I'll do that. It looks like a Common Pleco or simply a Suckermouth Catfish. Either way, I'm in trouble. One reaches 12" and another reaches 24"!

Here's a photo for a reference:

img_960678_0_2fbb27037a638cc32d7f9a3483c56cd8.jpg

Yep. Common Pleco.

I inherited this tank from my father. Looks like he didn't take into account how big these guys get. Unfortunately, I think his growth has already been stunned.

Back
Top Bottom