Would This Tank Work???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amphibianboy528

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to put:1 male betta,2 chinese algea eaters,2 coolie loaches,and 4 glass catfishes in a 15 gallon tank.The plans are:giant hygrophila,japanese cress,cyptocoryne wendtii,and hair grass.The substrate is silver sand and pea gravel also some rocks and pebbles.

I think glass catfish get to be pretty big (if i remember correctly) and you should have them in a large school (for them to be happy/healthy) so im not sure

I think the grow to be at least 4 in. So if thats the case 4x16 is a little bit more than a 15gal could handle

probably meant 4 inches multiplied 6 fish...and that would be 24 inches of glass cats in your 15gal tank...I wanted some glass cats myself but my 30 gal is too small when i get my 55 gal i'm sure to have some glass cats in it.

So,since glass catfish are a bad idea...do you think 2 rosy barbs are better or are they too agressive for the other fish??

I'd say add one more coolie loach (are these the one's who stay small? if not, disregaurd my suggestion of more) because loaches like to be in larger groups of 3 or more. Instead of the Chinese Algae Eaters, go with two otos because the CAE will grow to 5 inches in length and I believe a 15 gal tank won't be big enough for them, at least not enough algae for them to eat properly. HTH!

Well,can't the CAE eat the sinking wafers of algea?I see alot of pet store feed them that if there is no algea,and fresh vegies according to my book.But I want to know about the rosy barbs??

my point about the CAE's is that they will get too big to be in just a 15 gallon tank. They can reach 10 inches. Here are some quick stats on this. This site is pretty reliable for information, even if their prices are WAY too high.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1564

And for the rosy barbs, they are some of the largest of the barbs, reaching about 6 inches. They also like being in groups 3 so they'll be either too big to go with the rest of your fish, or you can just squeeze three in your 15 gallon, but I think you'll have a problem with aggression once they get older.

Now, cherry barbs would work (good suggestion Fishlover14). They only reach 2 inches and even though they need to be in a small group, they'd do well in your 15 gallon. Of course, they might be nippers, but I don't know about that.

Back
Top Bottom