Wrought iron tank stands....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

creno9210

Aquarium Advice Activist
Are they safe?

I just bought a 38 gallon. And it came with the stand. My 16 month old has been climbing under it. She thinks it's hilarious to sit under the tank. I'm having mini heart attacks as I imagine the tank coming down! I'm certain that would KILL her. So I'm honestly thinking of taking my tb stand for now to use as the stand until I find something CHEAP.

Any stories or advice on the wrought iron stand? Are they safe?

29 gallon~ 5 giant danio, pleco, chinese algae eater.
35 gallon~ red ear slider, goldie feeders
38 gallon soon to hold two axolotls.♡

Tank stands are not toys. No matter what stand you use, if your child, or anyone for that matter, applies too much pressure or moves the stand, the tank could come down. I suggest you place something in the way of the stand so your child cannot have access to it. As for whether angle iron stands are safe, I have used them for tanks as large as 300 gals so yes, they are safe and when you buy the appropriate stand for the appropriate sized tank, they are fine. In fact, I have and still use my grandmother's wrought iron stand. It's now about 55 years old. No, that's not a misprint. 55 years old. The only thing I have done to it is spray paint it when it got too rusty from the saltwater tank I had on it.

Hope this helps. (y)

Yeah. Many stands are safe. Children with a fish tank is rarely safe.

My kiddo was 3 when I started keeping a bigger tank. I put it on a low heavy duty coffee table where he could see it but couldn't tip it. If I had used a higher stand I would anchor it to the wall and never allow him under it.

On the same note, GFCI outlet adapters are $10-15 on amazon and at Home Depot and a critical safety component.

Little man is now almost five and feeds the fish independently ... He's learned that you just don't do anything fun or cute around the fish tank. Having had it low where he could see and help was "dangerous" but also provided lots of teaching opportunities.

You know your kid best.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom