WTH is this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol its in a fish tank with a topper..
i dont own a dog. Or anything that color.
I have a black and gray cat so its not them..
Its long and stringy and stuck in gobs. I removed it but im still curious as to what it maybe..

I have seen something like that in small streams. Does your water have a lot of iron in it?

its ontop the water in the tank..
I dont know about iron but i have 6 other tanks running off the same water.. Dont see any signs of it in any other tanks ever..
i will see if it is iron tho.
and its only on the top..
it doesnt look like that kind of algea either.

You probably had a film on top of your water that allowed some sort of colonial microorganism to grow.

Ky'smommy said:
well if that is the case how do i get rid of it?

I don't have a clue what it is, but I'm going to suggest the standard skim it off the top with your hand. Usually you can't go wrong with that.

That looks like the same something I got on the surface of my water when I was fishless cycling via the shrimp method. I thought it was just slimey crud from the decomposing shrimp carcase but I don't know how something like that would form in an established tank.

it seems to have the same texture as BGA, which is a microorganism. so i'm seconding the 'something that grew to feast on DOCs on the surface'. if you don't have co2 injection, i would increase surface agitation to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Probably a buildup of organic material, with some bacteria growing on it. I usually get a scum in my tank after I give the plants a good trim, as the cut ends "leak" a lot of stuff. It's harmless, but unsightly, and surface agitation or carbon in your filter will remove it.

BTW it's kind of the FW version of the same stuff that protein skimmers remove from reef tanks, and the foam that you see at the beach sometimes (which is nature's protein skimmer). Except in FW it doesn't really cause any problems and doesn't need to be removed like it does in a reef tank.

Back
Top Bottom