wut kind of gourami is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
f9b32a4d.jpg.thumb.jpg

f9b32a68.jpg.thumb.jpg

f9b32a4d.jpg

kra101, you should really try to reuse your older threads instead of creating a new one each time you find a new question. For example, you could have asked this in the 2 or 3 other threads you've made about Gourami's. Keep it in mind for the future.

The pictures are very small and somewhat fuzzy, but it appears to be the silver gourami you earlier inquired about.

The enlarged picture helps a lot. I'd definately say silver gourami now, and male at that.

Hmm.... I respectfully disagree. This is a fish I've seen several times and have wanted for a while. :wink:

Silver Gourami isn't a particularly popular name for Trichogaster trichopterus. Though it appears to be (perhaps) a color morph of this species, which is commonly called the blue gourami. I don't think this is a blue or silver gourami, though. These have a more elongated, streamlined body and a more pointed snout.

Instead, I believe you've got a female Dwarf Gourami (Colisa lalia). These are distinguished from the males by a general lack of color and a rounded dorsal fin. Check this image, as your fish resembles this female closely: http://www.aquariumfish.net/images_01/gourami_neon_blue_female.jpg Here's the page it's associated with: http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/gouramis/gouramis.htm#top2

If it is indeed a Dwarf gourami female, then you're quite lucky. These are very hard to find! I've only seen them once in a store, and online at aquariumfish.net. I tried to find a mate for my males for a while, so as to reduce aggression, but was not successful. They just don't sell well enough for LFSs to buy them--they usually get the more attractively colored males, e.g. http://www.aquariumfish.net/images_01/gourami_neon_blue_male_02.jpg

These females are used to mate Neon Blue Dwarf Gouramis, Powder Blue Dwarf Gouramis and Dwarf Gouramis, all of which are Colisa lalia

I retract my statement. Not sure if you're correct, but I've noticed the top fin is drasticly different from a silver gourami. It doesn't quite appear to have the strips of a dwarf gourami either, seems to be mostly of one color with little or no pattern..

It looks like a silver, but the fin shapes are different from the photos I can find.

hahahaha thx man i got mine from wal-mart mwahahahahaha 1.80$

the people there said it was a dwarf gourami i my own oppinion i think its a mix (please god make it a dwarf or moonlight 8P)
once i had a (fe)male gourami it had a rounded fin but it had the colors of a male red blue silver stripes so wuts the diff between color and fin sexing?

madasafish said:
Hmm.... I respectfully disagree.
Instead, I believe you've got a female Dwarf Gourami (Colisa lalia).

I whole-heartedly agree. I had one just like it years ago.

Yes....I agree that is likely a female Colisa lalia (Dwarf Gourami). It is definitely not a color morph of the Blue (Three-Spot) Gourami, Trichogaster trichopterus.

can any1 guess wut mix it is cuz it looks a lil wierder then most females

Psst! Heh, Madsasfish!
I can get you a whole handful of dwarf gourami females.
My lfs has neons, wilds, and separately he has flames and powders.
That is where my kids got the original 2 fish, 6 ghost shrimp and 2 plant bunches for 10 bucks that made my fry explosion..... ^_^

It sure looks like my poor Rouko (cept it's fin is whole). Her sisters look like blue gill, she was to tattered (My kids chose the smallest..so you can guess her starting condition) :?

Darn it Xmasfish; what are you doing on the other side of the country? I've been looking for a female dwarf for months now; my poor males build bubble nests left n right, but all in vain LOL Maybe I'll have to check the local Wallymart *shiver*

want some....call me"da meddol mon"..hee-hee

Hey, My daughter has ordered all kinds of fish shipping containers for her fish hobby. I 'm sure she won't mind one being shipped across. ^.^
Better yet...the lfs is offering them cheaper and cheaper because we are the anabantid nuts (and they are getting a shelf - he said he never has had anything longer than a month except the menagerie beasts like the lungfish) ..and everyone buys the fancier males. (some of the girls are quite nice tho with bright blue striping).
Have to be a money or trade proposition..heh, I used up the last of my credit today
..normally it would have been about 50 bucks for 5 rummynose/5 (braincramp-more disc shaped and a lot of orange highlighting)tetras and 3 croaking gourami and a bottle of dechlor and of course the beastie..polypterus.

That's strange, I'm also in New York and I have yet to see a female dwarf in a pet shop. I was on a hunt too, but never could find one. I guess there isn't much market for them here.

Food for thought: Gourami males tend to fight, as such a breeder would not want many of them in their breeding tanks. Females are less territorial and create the eggs needed for more gouramis. As with most animals, one male will do for many females.. So they keep most of their females and sell off all the extra males.

Just my take on it :) At some point though, I'd think they'd have to be sending SOME extra females somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom