XP3 filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PauloSilva

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well so far so good. However here is the issue

All connections are sealed however air gets caught in the canister and brings my flow rate down... I have to unplug it and let all the air go up the return line then plug it back in. This is rather annoying. Any suggestions. Should I add more media?

in the book i remember reading make sure theres no air going into the intake of the filter which can be caused my air pumps and air wands so make sure now of that is near the intake

Make sure there's no airstones near the intake. Also, you could try doing a quick maintenance on the filter, emptying the cannister, and hooking it back up and re-priming it. Make sure the cap on the top is tight also, where you pour the water in for the initial priming.

If you do maintainance on your filter and end up draining it and the use the auto filler, yes you do have you leave it alone for a little while before plugging the power back it. It takes a few minutes to purge all of the air out of there. Sometimes I've found that I even have to open it back up and fill a little more by hand before it runs full and silent. If it is too annoying for ya, hook the filter back up. Go make a snack and then come back in five or ten minutes and then plug it is :lol: :lol: ... In all seriousness though.. I've found it to be one downfall of the filter but a very minimalistic one.. Good luck with it!!

I've never had the problem of having to wait. I wait til the bubbles stop coming out of my spraybar, then I wait maybe another 30 seconds, then plug it back in. It sprays out a small surge of air bubbles, then is normal. The surge is only about 2-3 seconds worth.

Guys,

Thank for the advice. I have no bubble wand or air stone. The cap is on tight. The cansister is full and running without air... Overtime somehow it manages to accumulate some air and slows the flow rate down. I then unplug the filter and let the air purge out then plug it back in. However after maybe 6 hours its full of air again

Check to make sure your hoses are on tight at both ends. You have an airleak someplace and its sucking air into the filter.

How far below the water line is your XP3? Do your hoses have a lot of slack in them?

If you disconnect at the quick disconnect lever there should still be water in the hoses that cause enough suction to draw water from the tank to the filter.

The only time I've ever used the primer was the 1st time I set my XP3 up. Even after disconnect and maintenance I just hook it all back up let it sit for a few minutes and it fills up on its own. Turn it on, blows some small bubbles and runs fine after that.

They say not to fill the canister before you put it back under the tank but you might want to try it and see if it helps.

The only time I've ever used the primer was the 1st time I set my XP3 up. Even after disconnect and maintenance I just hook it all back up let it sit for a few minutes and it fills up on its own.

Ice beat me to it :wink:. I'm the same, the quick connects keeps the water in the system and gravity pushes all the air out after maintenance.

However, I found the same thing from time to time. It doesn't take much air to make that noise, and sometimes just waiting won't do the trick.

Try this. After you're done with maintainance, lock down the quick release and start like normal. Let it run for about 10 seconds, then unplug it, and lift up the quick release lever (but don't take the hoses off). Lift up a corner of the filter and let it drop, effectively "tapping" any extra bubbles out of the filter. Lock down the quick release and start it up.

If you do this a few times and still have a problem you may have a faulty seal.

guys,

It seems to be working pretty good right now. My filter is approx 3 feet lower than water level. There is a bit of slack in the line and I am going to correct this so I don't get as much head loss. Thanks for the suggestions.. they seem to be working for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom