Xp3 media setup questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alchemy129

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok i bought the Xp3 and I didn't realize i had so many open spots for media, which rena media should i add to my open left over bays?. I already bought a big bag of Aqua Pure filter fiber to cut and fit into one of the slots, do I need to put this into one of those filter media tie pouches or will it be ok just in a seperate little bayand how thick do i want it? I already have the pouche its just whatever the best way to do it, i would think without it would be the way to go. When i buy the ceramic rings do i need to put these into one of those bags? and do i fill it up to the maximum that confortably fits into the bay? Thanks alot. Also when i went to Petsmart there equivalent to ceramic rings were like $18 so i didnt buy because i thought i saw them alot cheaper somewhere else, how much do these rings usually go for?

You'll love the XP3. I run the standard sponges that come from Rena in the bottom tray. In the next tray I have ceramic rings and I bought some of those bio-stars, but I like the rings better. Then in the top tray, I run the finer micro sponges and filter floss.

For the floss, I don't run mine in a bag. It just makes some feel better that single fibers are less likely to get loose if it's in a bag. For the ceramic rings or other bio media, no bag needed, just fill the tray with however much you got. I filled mine up as much as I could, so that way when I need seed material for another tank I have it ready to go :)

I bought the fluval ceramic rings, I don't remember how much they cost though, but I do remember you get a lot more ceramic rings for the price than you do for the bio-stars. I don't believe Rena distributes any ceramic rings, btw.

I also use the Fluval rings. They were the cheapest that I could find. No need for the bags.

I use the Hydor Ceramic Cylinders and Hydor Lava Media as well. Both work great, but the lava media you need to rince really well before using, or it will turn your water red from the dust.

I put a colony of shrimp in one of the trays. Just kidding. How cool would that be though to raise shrimp in your filter?

I filled my media baskets [above the 30 ppi foam] up with Matrix, Rings, then stars (2 bags) in that order from bottom to top.

Got rid of the BiochemZorb and put a little filter floss over the top set of starz.

Back
Top Bottom